Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission and driveshaft lineup

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
Hi all,
I've just installed the engine and transmission on my frame, and after installing the drifshaft it looks like the tranny and the driveshaft are not 100% in line looking from above. Is this something to be concerned about, and if so what should i use as a reference when i install the engine/transmission?
Since the holes in the transmission mount are oval I guess I can just unbolt the tranny and pull the end of it a bit to the left. Is eyeballing it good enough?

DSC_0084.jpg

The C2/C3 chassis has the engine/trans offset to the right by an inch to give the driver side foot well more width.

Hi,
I know it's offset but I also have a small angle between the driveshaft and the transmission (if you extend the drifeshaft forward and compare it with the casting line on top of the transmission).

Hi Johan,

I hear you're having a tough winter according to our friends in Aseda.

To minimize vibration, the transmission output shaft should be parallel with the differential input shaft when viewed from either top or side.

Edit: An angle on the driveshaft is not important if it helps achieve parallelism of the trans and diff.

Hi Mike,
Maybe it's not tough with Canadian standards, but my garden tractor with a plowblade has been put to the test!

Ok, in the picture below I have unbolted the tranny mount and moved the rear of the trans to the left. Now the transmission output shaft and driveshaft are parallell. One of the holes in the tranny mount is still ok, but the other one needs to be slightly modified to be able to bolt it like this.

But you're saying that I should be more concerned about the differential vs transmission? How can I see if they are parallell? :confused

DSC_0089.jpg

Now the transmission output shaft and driveshaft are parallell. One of the holes in the tranny mount is still ok, but the other one needs to be slightly modified to be able to bolt it like this.

But you're saying that I should be more concerned about the differential vs transmission? How can I see if they are parallell? :confused

Forget the driveshaft alignment. Centre line of diff and centre line of trans need to be parallel. Using the casting lines on each as a guide with a piece of string if needed is good enough. Don't confuse parallel with 'in line' ie., offset is normal and is why there's universal joints. :upthumbs

Hi,
I know it's offset but I also have a small angle between the driveshaft and the transmission (if you extend the drifeshaft forward and compare it with the casting line on top of the transmission).

I apologize.
I misread the OP.

Forget the driveshaft alignment. Centre line of diff and centre line of trans need to be parallel. Using the casting lines on each as a guide with a piece of string if needed is good enough. Don't confuse parallel with 'in line' ie., offset is normal and is why there's universal joints. :upthumbs

And for the universal joints to work it's important that the diff and transmission aren't in line but like Mike says parallel. So the joints don't get all the load on the same bearingneedles all the time but spreads the load on everal bearingneedles when the joint is slightly turning from a negative to positive angle and back, etc etc.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom