Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission Cooler

B

Bullitt

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler? If not aftermarket, then a seperate factory cooler? I know that the factory set-up uses the radiator, but I think it's a good idea if the gearbox had it's own individual cooler. The only issue I forsee is the mounting location. I know that there are so many types of coolers with different mounts, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any help. --Bullitt

Bullitt,

I dont have a trans cooler on the vette, but, i do on my 1998 CHevy Cargo Van for Work. I used B and M's plate cooler and got it thru JC Whitney. I got the biggest one they offer - 11x11x1.5 " thick. It mounts to the front of the radiator with the plastic strap kit . It is a very efficient cooler and really drops the auto trans fluid temperature.

If you are talking about a cooler for the 4 speed Gear Box, then of course you will need a 12 vdc pump suitable for oil at high temps. I read in a magazine a few months ago, that, GM now offers a kit for C5 manual transmissions which includes the cooler/pump/ and hoses. I thought about doing this at one time, but i dont race my vette and am easy on the gearbox,so, i just use synthetic 75w90 fluid and change it every year.

If you want to buy a pump seperately , i can give you the name of the company where you can buy it from. Runs about $250 if i remember correctly , but it is ideally suited for hot temp. oil .

Dave

Please excuse the attitude.
Get a 4,5 or 6 speed manual.

Bullitt... I read a suggestion for a trans cooler recently by someone who'd used this method while working for GM and was trialed on a fleet of taxis.
The cooler was placed in line between the trans and the radiator. The reason for this was twofold in it's application and it made sense to me.
Placing an auxillary cooler this way cooled the trans fluid going into the radiator and so transferred less heat to the radiator cooling water. This allowed the radiator to work more efficiently in cooling the motor and as such made it's job of cooling the motor easier.
Placing the cooler in front of the radiator just reduced air flow through the radiator and added to it's cooling difficulties by placing heated air where cool air is supposed to be.
The trial with the taxis resulted in a four fold increase in the life of their trans so i guess that method works well enough.
Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Cooling Ideas

Placing an auxillary cooler this way cooled the trans fluid going into the radiator and so transferred less heat to the radiator cooling water. This allowed the radiator to work more efficiently in cooling the motor and as such made it's job of cooling the motor easier.
Placing the cooler in front of the radiator just reduced air flow through the radiator and added to it's cooling difficulties by placing heated air where cool air is supposed to be.
The trial with the taxis resulted in a four fold increase in the life of their trans so i guess that method works well enough.
You hit it right on the head, Brutus. This is exactly my thinking. I'm running a Turbo 400 and the previous owner had it rebuilt by a reputable shop, so I'd like to get plenty of mileage out of it. I was thinking of running a scoop (some opening) from the front of the car through a hose to the seperate cooler. Maybe even run a in-line blower to make sure it gets cooled properly. I was thinking of a similar set-up for the radiator. The only problem would be finding a blower that could put up with rain. I know boats use some, so perhaps I would start there. I'm not sure exactly where I would mount the cooler, so size becomes a consideration. I need to look into different designs and stare at my engine bay a bit more to see what I can do. It seems that the cold weather helps me think more clearly. ;) --Bullitt

Let me get back to you on what I've seen somehwere with a long type cooler that would fit under your existing radiator. It's from a hot rod design. Looks good and works well too.

Gotta stop sending messages after I've been to the club........I spend as much time correcting my messages as I do typing them in the first place. :drink

Bob:drink

Jegs has those type of coolers. ITs called a Frame Rail Hot ROd Cooler.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom