Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Transmission fluid change

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Folks I am going to do a transmission fluid change on my 76 and was wondering if there are any tricks I should be aware of? Mine is leaking and I know one of the bolts will not tighten so I am hoping I can retap the bolt hole and get the bolt to hold. What else should I do when I have the transmission pan off? Any suggestions on the gasket and fluid type I should use. Thanks for all your help.

I've heard that the fluid and filter should should be changed every 24,000 miles but that if it's been in there forever just leave it alone as new fluid can kill the transmission. For the bad bolt hole you can use an H-coil and it will be as good as new, PG.

when buying the gasket ask for the gasket/filter kit and replace the filter while your there. you can also paint the pan while its out.

Thanks Phill I forgot about the paint I did the oil pan the same way, what was the orginal color of the tranny pan, black?
When you remove the pan there is not option but to replace the fluid correct, it just drains out as the pan comes off as I remember?
PS where is a good place to get the Hcoil you mentioned?

Great, going to get strarted this weekend.

I remember seeing a video on youtube in re: to a simple total trans fluid change on a C4 by Gordon Killebrew. It may work on a C3 as well, but I don't know of anyone ever doing it. It might be worth a shot to look into just to see what it's all about.

Good luck and keep us posted - :w

Ok will look for it but going to start the project this weekend, I know that there is a cable that is not completely hooked up and has not been since I owned the car, at the tranny end. so when i get under there I am going to ake some pics and see if anyone knows what it is and if I should hook it up or not. Thanks more to follow.

If you are leaking, look at the pan and straighten the pan flange if it is pulled at each bolt hole.

To drain the unit you just remove bolts starting at one corner and the fluid will leak out that area then slowly remove all the other bolts.

O-Reily's auto parts sell a kit to add a drain plug to the pan after removal (much easier next time)

If you have a TH350, you probably have a drain plug. Mine was seeping fluid around the drain pan, found out the drain pan was warped, bought a used one, took care of the problem. Changing the fluid and filter is not difficult job on a 76.

Thanks all, I did not get to start on the this weekend wife and spend the weekend sick with the flu but thats over now so hopefully this weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom