Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission Flush or filter change?

M

Mike Todd

I purchases my 97 with 78K miles and I wasn't sure if the auto transmission had been serviced. Both my mechanic and two local dealers suggested a flush rather than a filter change. I took my car to my local dealer and they performed the flush. I told them the manual said replace the filter.

Am I asking for trouble flushing? Is there anyone out there having their transmission flushed successfully?

Would like some feedback if you got it...

Thanks,
Mike

Flushing vs. filter replacement for automatic transmissions is analogous to the same concept for engines - if you only replace the filter, there is all the dirty oil that is still in the engine/transmission. (And vice-versa if you replace only the oil.) Net, net, you need to replace both the oil and the filter.

Hi there,
I agree, both are required and here are some reasons.
There is over 80 in hg of suction at the filter inlet. Any wear particles, light metal fragments or the like will be sucked right into the filter as the transmission operates.
So, with that in mind, drop the pan, use the correct filter, and then do the flush operation.
A word of caution here, have the filter split open and check out the inside of the filter. You will be able to see if there is anything going on inside the unit.
As for the rest, fluid level must be checked between 80-122 degree for accurate measurement.
Allthebest, c4c5

What should I do?

My transmission is working fine. Should I rush down and have it redone or wait about 20K when it turns 100K and then have it done? What kind of risk am I looking at?

I asked the dealer for a filter change, and he recommended the flush. They must not work on vettes much.

Thanks again,
Mike

HI there,
On vehicles which the previous service history is NOT known, it should be handled the same way, NOT just because it is Corvette. Filter and fluid change should be done. As far as the urgency of it, I do not know the fluid condition, so I cannot say.
I would just get it done as soon as you can.
An ounce of prevention, you know??
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks!!

Thanks for the advice all,

Good luck C4C5spec at Cruise-fest, wish I could be there.

Thanks again,
Mike

I have all mine flushed every 40,000 miles. Made a new transmission out of my 700-R4 in an 87 pickup. The only people that don't want you to flush are the trans repair shops for obvious reasons.

Make sure you take it to a place that flushes the trans with solvent to get all the garbage out and then replaces the fluid. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

Grizzly said:
Make sure you take it to a place that flushes the trans with solvent to get all the garbage out and then replaces the fluid. Anything else is a waste of time and money.
This is the best next to a rebuild, and much less costly. Actually its an easier way to flush the trans cooler. It also does a pretty good job at cleaning the valve body. Like C4C5 said I can't say on the urgency, not seeing the fluid myself.

:pat
:CAC

If you are going to flush the Trannie, change the filter & Pan gaskets FIRST, and clean the Pan & magnet before reinstalling a New Filter... then flush the remaining fluid in the Trans and top up with New fluid. Other wise you will disturb any debris from the Filter/Pan to the other sectors of the trans. Good luck.

Here's what I like to do: I take the transmission pan off and clean it, replace the old filter with a new one, replace the pan, and fill with new transmission oil (same amount as you removed when you removed the pan). Then split a cooler line and place a pan under it. Have someone start the engine and run until clean fluid runs out or until fluid stops running. Stop engine. Refill with new oil and run engine until clean fluid runs out. Reconnect cooler line. Refil with new oil. You have replaced the old filter with a new one and completely flushed all the old oil from the trans and torque converter and filled it with new oil. The best of both worlds--filter change and flush, and in the right order. And you have done it yourself so you know it was done right.

Hello, I went to my garage owner and I wanted to change my oil transmission. He have a machine which makes the flush of the liquid with also a soap or a cleaner which cleans the system. My question is, do I have to change the filter and to remove the pan to?

TY

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom