Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

transmission not pulling in

tat2ed

Corvette
1973 Orange 383 stroker
Having a problem with the trans not pulling all the way up to the bell housing. The spline tool goes in fine and before I installed the pilot bushing, I checked it for fit on the input shaft. Everything was fine there. I already have the bellhousing mounted to the engine. Should I mount the bell housing to the trans and then mount to engine? Or would it make no difference. By the way, the engine and trans are out of the car. Thought that would help when I went to put it together but I was wrong.It seems to go into the clutch fine but wont go into bushing. Don't want to wiggle it to much because a bolt on the trans was marring the bellhousing opening. Any help would be appreciated.I'll be glad when this project is over.

:beer
Thanks,
Jeff

First of all...if it came apart, it will go back together.

Have you double checked the alignment of the clutch spline, throw-out bearing, and the pilot bushing?

Also, you said you checked the poilt bushing to make sure it fits, but did you check the fit of the clutch plate and the throw-out bearing on the transmission input shaft?

none of the above. I thought the throw out bearing was self aligning. This is a different engine from the one that came out. The reason I thought it was the bushing because it seems to go together up to that point. How would you check alignment from shaft to bushing?

I was refering more the the inside diameter of the bearing. Make sure it slides all the way onto the shaft. Make sure the bushing, and clutch plate spline does as well. If all that goes together onto the shaft with no problems, then you will have to start taking length measurements of the seperate componants and make sure there is enough clearance for all that to fit together when assembled.

From what you described, its got to be something out of alignment, or not enough room for the componants.

Also....did the bushing go in the hole easily, or did you have to press it in? Sometimes the bushing can get deformed if you get to aggressive with it.

How would you check alignment from shaft to bushing?
With a Clutch alignment tool, or a pilot shaft as us Old Farts call it!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

The clutch is not aligned. Hook up the clutch linkage and have a friend depress the clutch while you move the trannie into position. You may have to rotate the output shaft while you push.

The clutch is not aligned. Hook up the clutch linkage and have a friend depress the clutch while you move the trannie into position. You may have to rotate the output shaft while you push.

I agree, I did the same thing and it worked fine. I've found that the plastic alignment tools are smaller than the actual clutch spline and will allow extra movement. The last time I made my own tool from a large wooden dowel that I turned down in a lathe and it worked much better.

the engine is not in the car. Did I need to have the linkage in a certain position before taking the trans out? Using the alignment tool, everything seemed to be fine. I did have to use an aluminum bar and hammer to put the pilot bushing in. Should I take everything apart and see if the input shaft still fits into the bushing? Like I said, the engine and trannie are out of the car so I still have easy access to all this stuff. It's a pain to keep taking things apart as you all know.

Not a problem if it's not in the car at all. Just do as Duke said and depress the clutch fork while someone pushes on the transmission.

I did what you're doing once with the motor on a floor dolly. I used a wood 2 x 4 as a lever against the clutch pivot arm while my daughter pushed against the tailshaft. When the pressure plate disengaged just enough to let the clutch disk float and self align with the transmission splines it fell right in. You might have to turn the output shaft on the transmission just a little to help it line up, make sure it's in gear.

I'll give that a try when I get a helper. Guess I'll have to invite someone over and give the old "oh, while you're here" . :L

I'll give that a try when I get a helper. Guess I'll have to invite someone over and give the old "oh, while you're here" . :L

Yup for sure! Beer works too!

:beerGood luck with it

Also....did the bushing go in the hole easily, or did you have to press it in? Sometimes the bushing can get deformed if you get to aggressive with it.

I decided to take it all apart and check bushing.Put trans up to it and the input shaft didn't go into it. I must have deformed it when installing it. It fit before I installed. What are my options? Do I have to remove it and install a new one? How do avoid this problem in the future if the pilot bushing is to tight. Do you have to have someone turn it on a lathe?

Is it deformed or the wrong size? If the problem is the bushing, I would get a new one, and a set of dial calipers and check all the sizes OD and ID before installing it. It should be a light press fit into the hole, and a slip fit onto the input shaft. If it is more that .002 - .005 inches to big, you may have to get it turned down.

Chances are, someone just gave you the wrong one.

Put the pilot bushing in the freezer overnight before you install it - it'll go in without having to wail on it. :)

Put the pilot bushing in the freezer overnight before you install it - it'll go in without having to wail on it. :)

I did that and it still went it hard. I hope I don't have a hard time getting it out. The other one came out using the grease method. I hope I can do the same with this one.

If the grease method doesn't work, just run a 5/8" tap through it, then run a 5/8" bolt through it until it bottoms out on the crank, then continue to turn the bolt - it will pull the bushing right out with no mess and no grief. :)

thanks for that info. Always good to have a backup plan

Been There, Done That.........

You need to dial indicate the bell housing to the engine. You may very well need an offset dowel on it, especially if it's not the original. It's NOT that hard but without doing that, even if you get the input shaft to go in the clutch, pilot bearing, if it's NOT inserted the way it should be, it will cause excessive wear on parts you don't want to replce a second time. Do some research and save the :W

just a quick follow up. I replaced the pilot bushing and the transmission is now on. I had somebody mic the other bushing it seems it might have been about .020 too big. Bought the new one at autozone. Doesn't appear to be a bronze bushing. Is there any problems with this? Well, now onto the next phase. Putting the engine back in the car. Thanks for the help

As long as its the right size, it sould be ok. I woul;d say at .020 over size, you must have deformed it to get it in.........enen a size-on-size press may be too much!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom