Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Transmission oil cooler.

ashy22

Corvette
1971 LS5 454 Red Coupe
Hello everybody

After several years of my vette sitting in the garage, it's time to get her road worthy again.

Both front brake calipers need overhauling as well as complete new exhaust and new weather strip throughout.

I have owned it since 1993 when I shipped it over from Florida.

The transmission cooler doesn't look like it is fixed in the correct way.

Please see the attached picture.

Can anyone please advise me of the correct fixing arrangement?

Thanks in advance.

Ashy22

212si10.jpg

30m1h90.jpg

COLOR]

Just realised that this cooler is an aftermarket fit !! DOH.....

Still, how should it be fixed to make it more tidy............or.....should I get rid of it.(the oil cooler I mean)

Hello Ashy,

Well it ain't the prettiest thing i've ever seen but still much better then the aftermarket ty wraps you get with them!
With the aftermarket ty wraps you can connect the trans cooler to the radiator, I don't like it because the trans cooler is just hanging onto the radiator.

I think I have about the same size extra trans cooler. What you can do is flip is 90 degrees and make your own metal brackets. Mine is very low so I can still get the hood to fully open. Can you get the hood into it's locking mech?
You can make 2 or 4 thing metal brackets and connect it to the frame around the radiator. That way it doesn't touch the radiator.

btw. Its an extra cooler as the standard cooler inside the radiator can't keep your trans oil cool enough.

Greetings Peter

Hanging any cooler on the radiator with tye-wraps or straps is a semi bad plan. Regardless of how tight you get them, the weight hanging out there is guaranteed to wear thru the tubes in your radiator. It might take some time, but it will happen sooner or later.
Make it neat and tidy, fabricate some metal supports that will mount the added cooler to the core support. Be sure and use hose that is marked "TRANS COOLER". The heat, oil, and pressure will cause the other types of hose to fail prematurely.

Transmission Oil Cooler

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is already mounted on a slotted steel bracket. I just need to fabricate something a little neater and re-connect it all up.

I didn't realize that there is already a part of the main radiator dedicated to the transmission cooling.

attached picture is what I already have.

Attachments

• cooler.JPG
    cooler.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 91
  • cooler1.jpg
    cooler1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 88
T...I didn't realize that there is already a part of the main radiator dedicated to the transmission cooling...

All C3s with factory AT use a tranny fluid cooler built into the stock radiator. Line connections are on the passenger's side of the radiator. The assembly instructon manual (AIM) shows these.

:thumb

All C3s with factory AT use a tranny fluid cooler built into the stock radiator. Line connections are on the passenger's side of the radiator. The assembly instructon manual (AIM) shows these.

:thumb

Thanks for that Mike - I will go and look it up and check it out on the car. :beer

I have a 72 sb automatic and just use the radiator cooling setup. Not that the extra oil cooler is a bad idea, I just never needed it for street driving.

Many thanks for that Gary.

Is it possible to remove the clutch plates without removing the diff?

Toms video?

Cheers

ashy22:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom