Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmisson Leak

Brian,
I am not a mechanic but I would not use it. As I recall stop leak works by swelling the seals, even the ones who dont need it. My trans is sitting on a stand right now because it leaked. The seals as just a few dollars a piece the challenge is getting it our where you can replace them.
My 2 cents
John

1978L48jafo said:
...stop leak works by swelling the seals...

...and if you ever DON'T put the stop leak in...all the seals shrink and you have an even BIGGER mess on your hands. I did this to my power steering and finally wound up replacing everything all at once.
Heidi

Brian
If you have a bad leak, you're better off just fixing it (or having it fixed). I just replaced the shifter shaft seal on my '81, and it wasn't too bad of a job, (but then, I do have a lift in my garage). The tranny shop wanted $125 to do it. The only other place it leaked a little is out of the inspection cover drain hole, which usually indicates that the front seal is leaking. I certainly didn't think it was worth pulling the tranny for that, so when I refilled the trans. with fluid, I used the Valvoline Max Life, which is suppose to help with the seals. It's too soon to tell how much of an impact that will have, though.

Dick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom