Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tremec vs. Muncie Mounting Pad

VAroute66

Corvette
'66 Roadster
I know the kits have all the mid-year mounting issues addressed, but does anyone know if the Tremec trans mounting pad is at the same relative height/vertical position as the munice mounting pad? I know that you can't really modify the exsiting factory mount, and I know that the Tremec mounting pad is further forward to accomodate its greater length, so conceptually you would have to shorten the bracket. Would the stock mounting bracket position have to be vertically adjusted? Thanks!

I did mine before "Corvette kits" were availabe and modified my stock mount
41.jpg

I milled the holes into slots and shortened it some and added a 1/4 plate to the bottom; its held up since spring of 2000.

Bossvette,

Thanks for replying and for your information with the photograph. Its clear that the mount needs to be about 1/4 inch higher. I like the TREMEC transmissions, and may attempt what you did eventhough the mid year mount is different, and its modification is beyond my capability. Another alternative I have is to try to install the Doug Nash 5 Speed that I have. Instead of fabricating a mount, I thought about using one of the mounts from a vendor's backfit kits, but that mount may be too high based on your information. Thanks again for your invaluable information. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

VAroute66

The crossmember mount bracket needs to position the mounting holes 1 3/4" further back than the muncie. Also, for the C2, you will likely need to lower the mount position by about 1/4" +/- to allow the TKO to fit within the tunnel without having the top of the TKO case hitting the bottom of the tunnel. Hre is a picture of our custom bracket for C2's:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/classic_chevy_parts.php?prod_id=39.

Here is some additional info that may be of interest to you:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/63_67_corvette_transmission_install_notes.htm.

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/install_TKO_transmission_corvette.htm.

Jeff,

Thank you for your response. Can I assume that the bracket in the photograph would position the TREMEC mounting pad 1/4 inch lower than the stock Muncie position? As an alternative, could I use your mount to also install my Doug Nash Engineering (DNE) 5 speed by installing a 1/4 in. spacer on top of your bracket mounting pad to raise the DNE 5 speed to position assuming the DNE 5 speed sits at the same level as the Muncie? Is this bracket available and where can I get a price? Thanks!

VAroute66

Our mount is slightly lower than stock mount to accomdate the Tremec in the tunnel.
The mount was designed to work with the TKO - if the Doug Nash mounting point is 1 3/4" back from stock Muncie then the forward/backward location should be right. If putting a 1/4" spacer to get the Nash to the correct height is what it would take, I do not see anything wrong with doing this.
Typically, we sell our brackets as part of our full transmission kit only but if you think it would help you with your project, we can work something out.
Call me to discuss.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom