Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trim Ring & Center Cap Removal

ed_in_pa

Corvette
1976 White Coupe
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to removing the Trim Ring and/or the Center cap without scraping or scratching the wheel? Thanks.

Ed, don't have a secert for you but just wanted to tell you that I recently repained my caps, and wheels and it really looks good. I just used black touch up paint on the black part of the center cap and used silver metalic paint on the wheels. I did scratch the wheels a little putting the trim ring back on but its covered by the trim ring so does not show. To paint the lettering on the center cap just take the black paint and don't worry about getting on the crome part you can wipe it right off with out taking the paint out of the lettering. Also when you go to put the trim rings back on you might find they don't fit to well, what worked for me was to take a pair of pliers and bent each tap up a little then they fit in good and tight.

ed_in_pa said:
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to removing the Trim Ring and/or the Center cap without scraping or scratching the wheel? Thanks.
The center caps can be pulled off by hand, easily stolen. I have replaced my trim rings, but I only had two of the original type, with the clips, and never did find any easy way to get them on or off. Good luck.

:w

I took an old screwdriver and bent the last inch and a half or so to about a 75 degree angle and then slid an old piece of vacuum hose over it just leaving the tip exposed.Works fine,no scratch.

My trim rings are the orig type with the tabs.Mine come off too easy,just a little tug,usually have to massage the curved part of the tab next to the tire to get a good hold.

Good Luck

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom