Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Triple Take Air Intake...Any Opinions?

R

RubyDropTop

Anyone have any first hand knowledge about this set-up? Most of the aftermarket catalogs sell it; it's made by K&N and has the three round air filters hanging down in front instead of the square housing/square filter.

It looks sort of mean/aggressive, but does it provide enhanced performance? It's a pretty simple bolt-on, what do you guys think? Is it a waste of $300.00??

$300?
Get it from SLP directly, I got mine for
$225 shipped, all inclusive.

Does it make a difference? Well, by
doing just this and the coolant bypass
and a new fuel filter (which is really
routine maintenance), my 1/4mi e.t.
is .36 s lower. How's that?

I think the Vortec Rammer might be just
as good or better, but with that I am
concerned about water ingestion to the
engine. Plus this is cheaper, since I
did the work myself, I would have a mechanic
install the rammer as cutting the radiator shroud
is required.

I like this mod. also over the rammer in that I can
reverse it and return to stock any time I wish.

Yeah, the $300.00 price tag comes from Mid-America Direct. The SLP price sounds much better, thanks for the tip. :)

Is it really a pretty simple conversion, taking about 30 minutes?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, simple conversion.
For the 1993, you will need
a heater hose cap($2.00 for 2
in box) and a hose clamp, as there
is a hole in the claw for 1995-1996
cars (they had to put something
there that we don't have). You
need to plug the hole.

If you can take the air box out of
the car and replace it, this is
no more complex or time consuming.

sothpaw -

Thanks for your responses - greatly appreciated. :)

Just make sure that when you take the filter's housing bolts out to mark which one goes where (they are different sizes). Don't be a condenser/screw victim! I have the set and I like it.

--John

Is it a waste of $300.00??

Yes, I think spending $300 on something else would be a better idea.

SLP and Corvette Central BOTH are charging $239 + shipping for this setup now. They are the cheapest seller of this set-up in the market.

who is SLP?

hi just bought a '93 ruby/auto/coupe the mod you are talking about sounds good-i had a '99 with twin k&n's but i like the sounds of the triple-i have a catalog from vette central but never heard of slp-who is that? thanks,dennis w:

SLP is a highperformance parts supplier in addition of making the Firehawks and LT4 camaros.
I am going to get my triple set tomorrow, but not from SLP. They are charging $20 for shipping and last time I ordered from them it took forever to get the part.........like two months !! In addition they are extremely poor in responding on inquiries on your order status.............

SLP=

Street Legal Performance

I have the SLP intake also. I think it is worth it and felt the difference. I also cut the shroud open and installed a vent over the hole. This stops the rain and debris from getting up there. I have had no water ingestion problems.

A note that no one has mentioned. You'll be using 2 of the 3 screws that held your original air filter assembly in place. The 2 longer ones. Put the short one away with your old air filter assembly. Now before you crank down on those screws take a look underneath your car in the shark mouth area and look up at those screws. Mine came extremely close to bending the fins on the radiator. I ended up taking a flat washer to use as a spacer where the SLP assembly mounts. That keeps those screws away from the radiator fins by about 1/4-1/2in. The spacers that SLP sent with mine were just a hair too short.

It's no big deal to do the job. Your factory hose that goes from the TB to the filter will require a little squeezing to get it around the SLP assembly. The factory unit is a very narrow oval. The SLP is a little fatter in the middle. But it fits. Just go easy then tight down the snake clamp and you're good to go.

Graham

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom