Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trottle Body - Sticky

Lucs_Vette

Corvette
1985 Black Coupe
You have all been a great help in the past .. so here goes

i have an 85' vette with original trotle body and it sticky. i had my mechanic clean it but find that i sticks right or near idol. when driving i have to keep smacking the gas pedal to get it to return to idol. the warmer the engine, the worse it gets. i don't want to replace it with an aftermarket nor spend a fortune getting a new one from the dealer ($$$$$$$).

Any suggestions on what i could do to fix the problem .. ?

thanks ,

Check your throttle cable for for broken strands. See if the end play is out of adjustment. I have a email address somewhere I got from the F-Body site, there is a shop that hones your Throttle body to a larger size and cleans everything for about $150.00. My 96 LT4 is 48MM he will hone to a 52MM for half the cost of a After market 52MM. PM me if you have done the throttle cable and your sure it is OK as that was what mine was doing and I found one of the three cables were almost broken in half causing the same thing you are having.

I have a 1987 Vette with the same problem you have written about, what did you finally do about the sticky butter flys in the throttle body. Let me know.

The bore for throttle shaft is probably elongated and your blades are binding in bore. If you pull the TB, you can look into the bores and see where the blades are catching. Lightly sand the blade at contact point until there is no contact. Rock the shaft back and forth, up and down, and confirm no contact. Install and reset your min idle and TPS.
Before doing this you may want to try and reset your min idle and TPS. If the min idle screw is not keeping the blades a hair open, this could cause the sticky blade.

Hi agent 86 ..

wouldn't resetting you min idle screw a little cause your engine to idle faster?

Secondly, will the sanding cause any miss reading of the sensors or cause any big issues with doing this?

when i talked to my mechanic about his .. he said .. don't sand it down .. so .. not sure what do do here .. and i don't want to replace with an after market nor do i want to spend a fortune and order one from the dealer ..

any help on this would help .

thanks

Throttle Body Sticking

Now I have a story for you guys, the older I get the deeper my thoughts go, I have been having what I though was a sticky throttle body butterfly plate, it would stick around 1400 RPM, today I removed all of the cables and used WD 40, holding the cables straight up to allow the fluid to drain down, cleaned the throttle body as best that I could with it on the engine, started up the engine and it still stuck. Got inside the Vette to check the accelerator peddle and found that the cowlling that holds the wires up under the dash had dropped down and was pressing on the peddle, fastened it up and no more sticky throttle body problem, duh, duh. Lesson, should not always look for the worse.

Now I have a story for you guys, the older I get the deeper my thoughts go, I have been having what I though was a sticky throttle body butterfly plate, it would stick around 1400 RPM, today I removed all of the cables and used WD 40, holding the cables straight up to allow the fluid to drain down, cleaned the throttle body as best that I could with it on the engine, started up the engine and it still stuck. Got inside the Vette to check the accelerator peddle and found that the cowlling that holds the wires up under the dash had dropped down and was pressing on the peddle, fastened it up and no more sticky throttle body problem, duh, duh. Lesson, should not always look for the worse.

Congratulations. I know that was bugging you. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Hi agent 86 ..

wouldn't resetting you min idle screw a little cause your engine to idle faster?

Secondly, will the sanding cause any miss reading of the sensors or cause any big issues with doing this?

when i talked to my mechanic about his .. he said .. don't sand it down .. so .. not sure what do do here .. and i don't want to replace with an after market nor do i want to spend a fortune and order one from the dealer ..

any help on this would help .

thanks
The ECM is the boss of idle and the IAC is it's slave. I would imagine if you could turn the min idle screw out far enough, the ECM would not be able to compensate. There is a specific procedure for setting the min idle, if your mechanic does not know how, get a new mechanic or one who can read.:L
Sanding the blades just enough to cause no binding will in no way cause any big issues. This was my cure after i eliminated all other sticky parts such as cable and pedal.:upthumbs

Another case of the throttle cable being the problem and not the TB :) Like I said, check the cable before you Think the worse.:) Learned this 36 years ago with motorcycles. Try four cables on four carb's and keeping them in sync. 1970 750 Honda Four S.O.H.C.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom