Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trouble starting my C5

lilbull624

Corvette
Iam having trouble starting my car i know its something with the security .I tried recoding the FOB , BOTH MY FOB'S the battery wore out so i bought new batteries and did the FOB , only one did not work guess the FOB is bad the other worked and i resychrinized it but still the car would not start now could the fact that one FOB isnt working be a problem? I would sdoubt it since the other one I was able to reset but still im not able to start the car would love to figure this out before towing it to the dealership but im about to go nuts any help is greatly appreciated

umm kind of thought that maybe something with pulling codes may be something with starting the car i know itys something with the security system , and since I know nothing about the security system other then the possiblity of the key chip being bad i figured maybe something with the codes

Hi lilbull624 and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

I've merged your posts in the "codes" thread and moved them into their own thread so that you'll get more attention to your issue.

I'm not much on the technical end of the C5, I'm much more the "turn the key, give it some gas and let's go" type ;) but I'll try to get things started.

Why do you suspect the security system is causing a problem?

Have you pulled the codes listed in your Drivers Info Center (DIC) yet? If so, post them here for discussion.

If not, use the instructions in this thread ( http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/72535-pulling-codes-c5.html ) to pull them and post them here.

As far as I know, the key fobs shouldn't cause you issues starting your C5. The C6 would be another story but that's not the case here.

Let us hear from you and we'll see if we can aid you in a few troubleshooting suggestions to get you back on the road ASAP.

:wJane Ann

try starting the car in nuetral. if that does not work, try wispering sweet nothings in her ear.....:)

Because the security light does come on when i first get in the car and put the key in the ignition and its making me think something with the fact they key wasnt going in all the way when i first tried starting it the other night thats nev er happen and im thinking maybe that tricked off something in the security but im going to try pulling the codes now

Ok i pulled the codes most ended in H so I didnt write those down only three ended in HC so I wrote those down it was
10PCM P1431 HC
28TCS C1235HC
40BCM B2723HC

Then at the end it said no more codes then manual diagnostics then 10-pcm 2 codes

I dont know if that last three displays meant anything or really what any of this means

Thanks for any help

I just went back out ton the car because I was wondering why at the end it was saying 10 PCM 2 CODES so I went back to see what the other codes were for the pcm even though i only wrote down codes that didnt end in H
when I went through again the two codes in PCM were

10 PCM P1431 HC
10 PCM P1626 H

Now the second one I see is something with the Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Circuit
It does however have an H after it but im wondering if that is the problem

Try cleaning the chip in the key and inside the lock. There are many threads on the procedure, if you look you'll find them.

Thanks Zagger, tried that before it did feel better the key in there it semed like it was going to work but still no cigar , i did hear from a gm mechanic that seems to think that when I first put the key in the ignition the other night abnd it wouldnt go all the way in that a piece in the ignition broke and that the ignition he says has the security code in it so thats why its not starting so he feels I need a new ignition

I would think that if you could not insert the key all the way into the tumbler you could not turn the ignition at all. The ignition only reads a code that is embedded in the chip on the key (basic resistor). Bottom line if the key goes in and the ignition turns you don't need a new ignition. Some guys splice a resistor into ignition wire and that bypasses the chip and reader mechanism. Have a competent mechanic look at it for you, to diagnose a new ignition over the phone might not be very accurate. Good luck, Zig.

Ok heres the deal. they said that they had to reprogram the security pass code in the ignition. Now im a bit naive bbut he didnt say put a new ignition in he just said reprogram it and wacked me with a $435 bill.Iasked if he could do beter he said no I said thats ecxtremely high he said will the labor, now like i said im naive but to reprogram? How long could that possibl;y take im gonna see exactly what was done tomm. but 435 sems outrageous to me.Time to learn this stuff myself

Did the dealer call you with the cost of the repair once he diagnosed what the issue was. It seams that would be a good time to have him explain what the problem is, how is he planing to fix it and what the cost of such repair will be. Arguing with him after the repair is made is kind of mute point, you will almost never win that one. Never give a dealer a cart'blank on any repair. Expect to pay the initial diagnose cost but anything else has to be agreed upon prior to him executing any repair.

Yes but then after he explained im thinking he really kind of contradicted himself , he said they had to reprogram the pass code security system in the ignition but he messed up what he was saying cause the first time he said something somewhat different, but to be honest at that point i have an unoperable car , i had to get it towed there and had to have it towed home last week when this is all happen so i hit my limit of tyhree tows this yr so even if i got it done somewhere else for 150 less it wouldve been made up for in towing . Your right argueing after the fact isnt going to get me nowhere but being this one time i was at his mercy i let it go cause when he told me it was the pass code and it was 435 he did reinterate that right now its just that hopefully its nothing more and you need a new key and something else so im figuring yea im gonna get juiced this time so if i argue now im sure it will be more that he finds wrong

hI THERE
Your B2723 was your key.
This shows that the BCM could NOT EVEN READ THE KEY.
You cannot 'reset' the password, its hard programmed into the BCM.
YOU CANNOT CHANGE IT!
That being said, there is something definately fishy here.

I would have been looking at the terminal within the lock cylinder and eventual replacememnt.
Allthebest, c4c5

ok they actually replaced ignition lockcylinder and relearned theft system is what it says on the bill. but heres another weird thing now on my way home the retractable lights pop up on their own, then finally i was able to get them to go down after a few unsucceful tries . then after it sitting in my driveway all day wenmt to pull it in the garage the lights popped up again . I drove it around the block a few times trying to get it to go down it wouldn't then after pulling it in and taking key opuit they went down

Now im gonna call them tomm, yea i know things can happen too much of a coincidence that this never happened before and on the ride home it happens even if it was a few days later id choke it up to normal problems but on the way home this happens???

I dont even know what sentinal lights are...lol.. Ill have to look it up,

But this is weird back two yrs ago i hit a huge pot hole i broke the row bar after having it repaired at a shop the day driving the car home from the shop im hearing a rumbling on and off in the back asfter taking it back to the place they said oh your bushing where the one exhaust is wore out so its 135 for new bushing and labor i said id be back in a couple weeks to have it done but questioned how this is weird if its normal wear of the bushing how it happene to happen the day i get the car back from them they say well we didnt do nothing two weeks later getting ready to take it back i go under and look they mustve removed the one exhaust and put it in the wrong part of the bushing went to another place they just premoved it and put it in right place yet that place swears they didnt touch the exhaust. Like i sasid if this happened next week ok but the day im dribving it home from the dealer after they did work on it , too much concidence there , im feeling they did something not to mention the center console aeverything i had in there was thrown scattered in the trunk including which i couldnt find at first my safety wheel lock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom