Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trouble starting...

H

Hondo

I have a '96 LT4 with a 6-speed. I went to start my car today and nothing happened. I have a new battery(only 2 days old), it is fully charged. I depressed the clutch and turned the key - the instruments on the dash lit up, and the radio came on - but it won't start. In fact, it didn't make a sound... nothing, when I turned the key. I tried this several times without any luck. I went to lunch and came back an hour later and figured I would catch it in gear and take it to the shop. I tried to start it one more time and it started right up. I tried it again, and again...it started every time.
Does anyone here have any idea what is wrong, or what may have caused this too happen?

Double check the battery connections. If they are loose, it may have caused your problems. I had a simmilar issue about a week ago. After some quick troubleshooting I found that the positve lead on my battery was about 1/4 turn loose.

Jason

The battery connections are tight. I was thinking along the lines of the clutch peddle switch, that actually kicks the starter in some way to start the car. Is there a chance that this is where the problem is???

According to my service manual the clutch switch is a normaly open switch. When you depress the clutch it closes and completes the circut and allows you to crank the motor.

There is an electrical connection under the dashboard for the switch. It could be loose or dirty. Try disconnecting it, and cleaning it with a tooth brush or the like. That should work.

From the schematic in the service manual, it looks like the only other thing that might cause this issue would be a bad solenoid. But if that were the case, I would still expect something to happen when you turn the key.

Hope this helps,

Jason

a friend of mine, a number of years ago had a Vette that he would only drive on the weekends... The guys at work talked him in to taking it to work one friday... one of them got his iginition key, and put a small piece of tape on the chip.... when the guys went out during lunch so they could look at his car, it wouldn't start...
this was a nasty joke to play on a corvette owner... but to make a long story short, you may have had something on your key

That couldn't have happened since I am the only driver and I have the only keys. The car is kept locked with the alarm activated in the garage at all times.

Hondo,

i will be in charlotte around the 12th of august, i am visiting my dad and sisters, i grew up there.

The problem could be the wiring in your steering wheel tumblers that reads the resistive chip in your key. The freaking wires look like 28-30 gauge, about 5 thin hairs . . . :eyerole

This happened to my 96 Z28. It was intermitten, I realized if I :bang on the steering column a few time the critter would fire-up.

It cost around $300 to get the tumbler replaced @ the GM dealership. Heck they even throw in a few new keys :upthumbs

I'll keep that piece of information for future use. It hasn't happened again so hopefully I won't need it.

a fuse link can do this intermittently........while it's deciding whether it wants to fail permanently..........also disconnect the battery for about 20 mins. so the computer memory dumps........do this when ever you feel that the performance seems a little off........when you re-connect.......and go to the street.......stand on it to obtain max settings from the computer.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom