Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trouble with Bilstein shock installation

fhturner

Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
Well, I finally got my Bilstein Sport shocks in on Thursday, and went to have them installed on Friday by a local service shop that seemed to pay pretty close attention to detail (lots of Porsche owners use them, so I figured they must be fairly competent). Unfortunately, when I went to leave, I noticed a "clunk" noise coming from the left rear wheel area, and upon stopping to check it, discovered grease all over the wheel. There was also a fair amount of grease on the right rear wheel.

When I turned around and had them check it out, it turned out that the CV boots (?) on both sides had punctures in them, causing the grease to "sling" itself out while the wheels were turning. A call later on to Bilstein informed me that if the installer isn't very careful when positioning the shock in the wheel well, the lower mounting bracket of the shock can cut the CV boot, which is apparently what happened. Now I'm having to wait until sometime Monday for their master mechanic to fix it back up with new CV boots, etc. :(

When I pick the car up (hopefully) tomorrow, are there any critical things I need to check on or ask about? Is there a way to know if they've repaired it correctly and replaced the lost grease from (I assume) the wheel bearings? I just don't want to get a couple of months down the road and then have trouble with the car because of this. I had a similar nightmare occur with my Bronco once, and I don't want to relive it...

Thanks,
Fred

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom