Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Troubleshooting Code 36 and Running Rough

Spark plugs and/or ignition wire condition will impact an engine under load. In drive, accelerating or in reverse. I would inspect the spark plugs and ignition wires VERY carefully. If you can get your hands on an Engine Analyzer, you would be able to see if there are any ignition firing issues.

Cracked porcelain (even a minute crack) on any spark plug could cause you problems.

Which is why I suggested this....

"run it at night... hood open.. and look for the light show"

He's pulled a Houdini! Mighta' had somethin' to do with snippin' wires???

Backprobe sockets to test for current / continuity (this was a fan relay circuit diagnostic, checking for PCM-generated current at 218', if I remember correctly) :

Attachments

• HPIM0543.jpg
    HPIM0543.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 73
  • HPIM0545.jpg
    HPIM0545.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
This is so embarrassing....

Do you have a K & N or after market air cleaner ? ( Hint here, ones that use spray oil ).
Have you used MAF cleaner on the MAF internals?

Are the MAF and relays GM or other ( auto zone etc etc ) ?
recheck you wiring.. a wire might have popped off a plug or got burnt to close to the exhaust...

run it at night... hood open.. and look for the light show

Is 36 the only " current " code you have?

Open loop= car is not listening to the O2 sensors and running off an internal map ( till it warms up ).

Closed loop= Car is up to temp.. and is closing the loop ( intake to exhaust ) listening to the O2's and making engine corrections based on the O2's output.

Mike

It turned out the problem was the #8 plug wire (pass side, rear) was arcing like crazy. Replaced it and all is well. Now back to tracking down my Code 36 problem.
Thanks to all who made suggestions.
Tony

I don't remember were the number 8 wire is on an 89. Is it in the vacinity of the maf sensor or its wire? You might try clearing the codes and seeing if the code 36 resets. It may have been set because the bad number 8 wire was bleeding into it.

that's also a good suggestion

I don't remember were the number 8 wire is on an 89. Is it in the vacinity of the maf sensor or its wire? You might try clearing the codes and seeing if the code 36 resets. It may have been set because the bad number 8 wire was bleeding into it.

I'll reset tomorrow and see how it goes, if there's still a problem the Check Engine light will come on after about 6 start/heat/cool cycles.

This forum is awesome !!

John,

#8 is the rear plug on the right (passenger) side.

On our LTX engines, that one is the most difficult one to replace.

:w

That wire runs underneath the wiring for the TPS, Maf, Water Temp wiring to the opti on the LT1. I wonder how close it runs to the those wires on the L98

That ALSO assumes

The wiring is using the factory routing , clips, etc.... which I'll bet money it isn't....

But Tony that's great news... however it probably needs a good hard run or two to clear the #8 plug....
AND the precat / O2 sensor on that side..

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom