Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Troubleshooting help needed!

Epimax

Corvette
1993 Arctic White Coupe
Howdy
Ok...this may be long, but I'm a stickler for details. I'll try to keep it short...
93LT1

Car shut off yesterday leaving parking lot, so I pushed it back into a space to check things out. After a few minutes, it started up and ran fine. I decided to let it idle a few minutes before tempting fate by getting into heavy traffic..
Well, it shut off again. Right after it shut off, I tried to start it again and it would start, then shut off immediately. After a few tries, it just kept turning over and I knew it wasn't going to fire.
Well, I called the wrecker, etc. Once he got there my suspicions were confirmed that my recent lowering job was going to keep me from getting a ride with that tow truck, since he didn't have any specilized equip for lowered cars....ughhh..

So, WTH, I try to start the car and it fires right up. I let it idle for 10 minutes, sounds great. So, I head out on the backstreets. Got a mile down the road and it shut off again.....

My list of suspects..
Fuel pump (going to listen to it and see if I can hear anything)
Fuel Filter
Injector problem?

It's not throwing any codes, but I'm still going to get something so I can retrieve stored codes anyway, along with a fuel pressure gauge...

Any ideas/suggestions? ;help
Thanks!

I would check fuel pressure first as mentioned earlier. My '95 LT-1 runs at 40 PSI at idle.

If the fuel is not an issue, check the coil and coil wire for green crusty
connections.

Your description of " shut off immediately" tends to make me lean towards a spark issue.

Good luck !

:thumb
:beer

HI there,
Would be definately looking towards a fuel pump.
Fuel pressure should be 41-47 psi key on, engine off.
Lower by 10 psi when running.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks c4c5. I'm picking up a fuel pressure gauge on the way home!

I would check fuel pressure first as mentioned earlier. My '95 LT-1 runs at 40 PSI at idle.

If the fuel is not an issue, check the coil and coil wire for green crusty
connections.

Your description of " shut off immediately" tends to make me lean towards a spark issue.

Good luck !

:thumb
:beer

Thanks JimBobC4. I'll check the coil/coil wire as well! Also, I didn't mention in the initial post, but I changed out the opti/plugs/wires about a year ago.
Thanks again! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom