Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: True Dual Exhaust

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello. My exhaust has been modified so that I have 2 pipes all the way back (2 catalytic converters). The problem is that instead of have 1 catalytic converter under the crossmember, I have 2. It's not a perfect fit so one is a little lower than the other. I want to find a dual exhaust crossmember so that I can run both pipes straight back (no bends). Has anyone done this and if so, what dual exhaust crossmember will fit?

Thanks,
BBerry

All stock X-members 68-75 have provision for true dual exhaust. Standard trans X-members are welded in. AT X-members bolt in.

:thumb

If you have a standard 350C transmission then Yes.
You can also look at the transmission sellers the also sell aftermarket crossmembers that give you alot of space.

Greetings Peter

You could also take out your current crossmember and transfor it in a true dual excepting crossmember :)
I did the same with the 82 crossmember I have right now.

Greetings Peter

I did get a crossmember off a 74 Vette. I ended up not using it because I would have had to add a bracket for the transmission mount. Instead, I just ran two separate pipes all the way back from the headers to the mufflers.

What really shock me was that when I cut the cats off, they were (p.o. had put two separate ones on) all broken up inside. Therefore, I was not getting nearly the exhaust output that I should have been getting. No cats with magnaflo's.

I took her out on the highway and got it up to 103 with no problem. Still had room to go. I fell in love all over again. I was being robbed of a lot of horsepower.

BBerry

Now that my car is breathing a whole lot better, I've noticed that the exhaust sucks in a little bit. When I place a dollar bill at the tip of the tailpipe, I notice that it gets pull in for a slit second. One of the previous owners replace the heads, intake, valve covers and rockers. The aluminum heads are Edelbrock along with the intake and valve covers. I believe the car has also been outfitted with a mild cam because of the way it idles while in gear. Could this be the reason for the exhaust behaving the way it does? If not, is there something I should be checking for?
Thanks,
BBerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom