Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Truflex rear bumper install

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
When I purchased my Corvette the back bumper cover had been removed. They claimed it fell of while they were driving down the road, but I tend to believe they backed into something. The actual steel bumper is still intact and in good shape. It looks like the left side support bracket is on there but the right side isn't. I'm assuming they are support brackets for the bumper cover. There is one on the left side and half of one on the right side.

My question is, what does the bumper cover screw on to? What holds it on? I heard somewhere that there is a trim bracket that goes around the back of the car. I see it on there, however it definitely needs replaced. Will I just use self tappers on the bottom of it and screw it into the bumper itself. I wish I had been the one to take it off.

rear bumper cover

Sir,

The rear bumper bolts to a 3 piece strip of metal with threaded studs on it. If you look in any vette parts catalog, or the AIM, you will see this item. It is the best way to attach the bumper cover to the rear quarter.

I found a really good deal on a truflex bumper cover for a 1975. I was just wondering. I know the 1974 had a split bumper. However, the truflex just has a simulated split. Would a bumper cover off a 1975 fit? He only wants $100 for it, compared to a new one that will cost around $350

I found a really good deal on a truflex bumper cover for a 1975. I was just wondering. I know the 1974 had a split bumper. However, the truflex just has a simulated split. Would a bumper cover off a 1975 fit? He only wants $100 for it, compared to a new one that will cost around $350

The tail light mounting arrangement is one year only for the 74s. If you want to change bumper covers, you will probably have to go with 75 and up tail lights and mounting brackets.

:)

It seems to me that the extra $250 is worth the money just to get the right year. Most of the money will be in prep and paint anyhow. Do it right, do it once, save money.

Would a bumper cover off a 1975 fit? He only wants $100 for it, compared to a new one that will cost around $350

By the time you get a 35-year-old urethane bumper cover installed, it'll crumble into dust just from being handled. Get the new one. :thumb

Buy it new.

Just bought all new front and rear bumper covers and a new hood for my '81 from Ecklers they had a sale over the weekend. My originals were OK but the time to clean, strip, minor repairs and repaint cost more than buying them new.

tcxd40

By the time you get a 35-year-old urethane bumper cover installed, it'll crumble into dust just from being handled. Get the new one. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom