Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trying to find a 1102173 generator

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
Any sugguestions where to find one.... 35 amp, non tach drive for a Fuel Injected '60?

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a week..

Appreciate any leads... other than ebay... been watching for a while now...

Thanks

:eek:hnoes

Joe

corvette central has them in their catalog, but be prepared @ $528.00!

Have you tried John Pirkle, Master City Auto in Georgia? He has thousands of generators and alternators. He is the best at NCRS type restorations of electrical pieces.

I had him do my 1960 f.i. generator a few years ago along with my voltage regulator and starter.

His number is 1-706-860-9047

Greg
60fuelie:w

Hi Joe,

From my 1960 Chevrolet parts manual here's the usage on the 1102173 generator.

1959-1960 full size passenger car with HP 348.

1959-1960 Corvette with FI.

1959 Chevy series 3 and 4 trucks.

1960 Chevy trucks series 10 through 40.

Although the NAPA or any other rebuilder's offering is without a doubt a functional replacement the chance of finding one with the correct number stamped on the housing would be very slim. If you have any old salvage yards in your area be sure to check out those old trucks for parts that were shared with our Corvettes.

You can also check advertisers in the NCRS Driveline and Hemmings Motor News although I'm sure they will ask Corvette price even if the generator originated from a hog truck. The only difference that I can think of regarding application is that the Corvette FI used a larger diameter pulley but that is available in repro from Paragon and others.

Good luck on your search.
Tom

I believe the only identifying item on the generator is the Delco Remy tag, with the PN and date. I don't believe there are any stampings in/on the case.

You could get any generator of the correct configuration and get a dead on repro tag for it.

Chuck

I do believe that you are right. I just saw where a repro tag is on the list of things I need for the '59. The original is MIA and a reman sticker is in it's place. I think that Paragon will stamp your repro tag as needed.

Paragon tag

Tom

Thanks Glen..

I will give John Pirkle a call, appreciate the information..

I have been calling and emailling anybody i could find that advertised in Hemmings and on Ebay.. and have had no luck..

I tried Paragon, still no luck..

I will keep Central as a last resort.. CHA CHING!!!

Did find a nice site that give some good information on part numbers, a little more information than my NCRS pocket guide.

http://www.corvette-world.com/corvette_specifications.php

Generator model numbers will be stamped into a Delco-Remy identification tag (black for 6-volt 6-cylinder; red for 12-volt V-8) which is riveted to the generator housing. Also stamped into the tag will be a manufacturing date code which is shown on the tag as a "SERIAL" number.
1953-1967 Date Coding: Date of manufacture code used for generators and alternators contains a calendar year prefix consisting of a single digit (the last digit of the calendar year); followed by the month (see month chart below); ending with the date of the month ("1" through "31").
Month Codes
A - January E - May J - September
B - February F - June K - October
C - March G -July L - November
D - April H - August M - December

So I take it that you don't have any generator at all. Why don't you just buy the NAPA reman and install the Paragon tag. You will be in it for about $175. and the physical appearance will be the same. I'm sure that the rivet holes will be in the case. As far as I know the difference in these generators was in the windings and armature.

Tom

:beer Tom, thanks for the info previously..

I do have a generator, its just not the right one for my car. the correct one is the non tack dirve unit with the 35 amp output, it was specific for the Fuel Injection with Hi-Lift Cam (290 Horsepower)cars. Non fuel injected had the tach drive units, and 30 amp ouput.

I bought the car last year and it is in the process of a total body off restoration, so i wanted to put it back to original, as much as i can for now..

So i have a few components that are the wrong ones.. I want to put the right generator on in the next month or so.. I have decided to go with a carb set up for now.. Heard to many horror stories about Fuel Injection problems..

I will keep reading posts and calling and emailing.

Thanks

Joe

My work took me to Charlotte NC, so i made arrangements to pick up the generator at John's home. Very nice gentleman. I was amazed by the quality of his work.. Needless to say I am very happy with the generator. I am sure it looks better now than when it was brand new.

The unfortunate thing was that I had to many bags so I had to check the generator, and because of the storm this week my flight got cancelled. Long story short we got rerouted, the airline wouldnt let me get my bags back, so is spent the night in a hotel, and the next morning i had the worst travel day possible. So when i finally get to Toronto.. They lost my bags and the generator.. Fortunately it just arrived.. and because of the great job packaging it it was in perfect condition..

Thanks for the tips.. Greatly appreciated..

Joe

:CAC

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom