Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tune up time...recommendations?

R

rocs26

I am getting ready to tune up my 94. Anyone have any recommendations on what brands of plugs and wires to use?

I put in a new set of AC Delco plugs last year when I did wires. I just put headers in a couple weeks ago and when I pulled the plugs I found most of the pucks missing from them. With the gap then obviously being more than .050 the plugs looked pretty rich. Needless to say I won't be using Delco's in my car anymore.
Instead I put in a set of NGK TR55's. They are fairly inexpensive compared to the Delco (41-906). You should be able to get them at your local parts store for around $2ea. otherwise Summit usually has them in stock.
I put Taylor 8mm wires in last year. MSD 8.5mm superconductors are good wires also but they won't fit in your stock wire loom retainers without a little filing to the retainers.
I have no complaints with the Taylors so far, I got them from Summit for around $50. The MSD's are a little more.

Accel 8.8 wires...distributor and rotor caps, added Super Coil...then Bosche Platinum +4's...engine has never run better, smoother, started easier. Plus it gets better gas milage...

One thing about the plugs is there is no gap to set. Already done...open box and put them in....

I used a combination of Bosch +4's with Delco 8mm plugs. I also changed the fuel filter (Fram fuel filter). Figured that the fuel filter was cheap ($9.00) and I may as well have changed that too.

Magnecor wires (check their website), Denso Iridium plugs, Davis Unified Distributor (D.U.I.) and rotor with a DynaMod ignition module (your already under the ignition cap anyway!)

Made a significant difference in my '91 L98! (Not 10 seconds off the quarter mile, but definite seat of the pants improvement, even my wife noticed!)

94's use an optispark distributor, no cap & rotor to change like on the L98's.

Check 2 threads in ZR-1 forum. One is under sparkplug advise, the other is AC Delco Rapidfire#5.

One of the best Corvette techs in the nation told me to use the GM plugs... He talked about temp. range and some other things... I wanted to use bosch... He told me he would gladly charge to put them in, and gladly charge me to replace them in 20k miles... He said the GM platinum plugs were the best, and I would never have to replace them... This was on my '93 LT1

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom