Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tune Up?

vette007

Corvette
1990 Steel Blue Coupe
I am planing on performing a tune up on my 90 Vette, does anyone recommend a certain brand or product for the tune up? (like for plugs, wires, distributor cap, roter etc)...

Thanks in advance!
Tony

This really depends on how much you want to spend. You can get the autozone parts, or go for an after market brand. I started with Accel and now run MSD stuff. Both seem to work good.

This really depends on how much you want to spend. You can get the autozone parts, or go for an after market brand. I started with Accel and now run MSD stuff. Both seem to work good.

MSD is the ign. parts I use when I need caps, rotors, wires, etc.

MSD is good stuff. If you're more on a budget, there's nothing wrong with Delco.

I am planning on doing my tune-up with my bro sometime next week, I will be sure to update you all on the out come.

Thanks again,
Tony

What parts are on your tune up list?

My list so far is cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, prob a new thermo, air filter, fuel filer and a pvc valve. Any other suggestions are greatly welcome.

Tony

How about a new distributor module? Not sure what the life is on these parts, but if yours is original, couldn't hurt to replace.

Don't forget the terminal block. Essentially, replace everything with a wire under the rotor. It's a very unpublicized 75,000 mile maintenance area.

If you adjust your timing, don't forget to disconnect the black & tan advance connector wire, right near your power brake booster. To not do that will simply make the task impossible and put the ECM into default mode.

I'd change the brake fluid (to a synthetic that doesn't absorb moisture) too. If you have a manual trans, that fluid, plus the hydraulic clutch fluid, as well.

Since the L98 plugs are such a "treat", consider Iridium Delcos for long life. They resist corrosion from fuel additives better than platinum.

I'd consider differential fluid too, if it's more than a five years old. I'm very happy with my Mobil 1 synthetic and GM friction modifier combination.

Don't go cheap! AC/Delco or better. Chi-Com house brands aren't up to par.

If I recall, either Ecker's or MidAmerica sell a complete (sort of) tune-up kit, with a K&N filter included.

Ya didn't mention if your Vette was a Manual or Auto Trans???

If ya have the auto like mine, Do yourself & trans a "Favor"....

Get yourself a Trans pan with a DRAIN PLUG in it and be sure to get a STANDARD
Depth Pan NOT the "DEEP SUMP"or you'll Decapitate every Ant in sight!! ;LOL Not to mention tearing the Pan OFF the Car at the 1st Speed Bump!! :duh :D

I, picked up a NEW Chrome one at the GoodGuy's show yesterday $18....
and a AC/Delco Filter Kit would run about the same. So ya won't break the
Bank on that, and you'll extend the life of the tran's!! :upthumbs

Wow, I never would have thought of that. Thanks for looking out Ghost 3!

Bye the way I do have an auto, I prob should have mentioned that...

Thanks again,
Tony

Don't cheap out on the ATF, either.

Don't forget the terminal block. Essentially, replace everything with a wire under the rotor. It's a very unpublicized 75,000 mile maintenance area.

If you adjust your timing, don't forget to disconnect the black & tan advance connector wire, right near your power brake booster. To not do that will simply make the task impossible and put the ECM into default mode.

I'd change the brake fluid (to a synthetic that doesn't absorb moisture) too. If you have a manual trans, that fluid, plus the hydraulic clutch fluid, as well.

Since the L98 plugs are such a "treat", consider Iridium Delcos for long life. They resist corrosion from fuel additives better than platinum.

I'd consider differential fluid too, if it's more than a five years old. I'm very happy with my Mobil 1 synthetic and GM friction modifier combination.

Don't go cheap! AC/Delco or better. Chi-Com house brands aren't up to par.

If I recall, either Ecker's or MidAmerica sell a complete (sort of) tune-up kit, with a K&N filter included.

Could you tell me what size the distributer hold down bolt is?? Is it on the right side of the engine?

The Distributor hold down bolt has a 9/16th's Head on it, and is located under the distributor, on the right hand side of the engine. Suggest that you visit Sears for
a "Distributor Wrench" to loosen that bolt, as it's almost "Impossible" to get to with
a regular wrench and ya would risk "Rounding Off" the bolt head using regular wrench.
Figure around $25 for the wrench. :)

The Sears wrench is a great idea. Others make them, but Sears still has great, but affordable, hand tools. Now that K Mart owns them :( , you can get them there too.

Have a six-inch or so length of (small diameter) fuel line handy. I've always found that #1 cylinder plug, especially, hates me and I can get it started easier with a length of fuel line stuffed onto the tip.

have a 90 here too with the l98 set up. when you get to the passenger side plugs (if you have this engine) remove the lower wheel well as it will make getting to the 2 and 4 plug much easier. the fuel hose also is a big help on that side too.

Tune Up PArts

Try the store "thepartsladi" on ebay. They have AC Delco "Kits" A tune up kit and a filter kit for reasonable prices. I got a water pump from them last year. Good service and pricing. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom