Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport tuned my 2011 GS m6 yesterday

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

Bud miller

Corvette
2011grand sport
only mod is a z06 airbox with a attack blue filter..
http://vid243.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/goodbuddyz58/ls3/gs tune_zpsgqsuhoe5.mp4
402 rwhp and 388 tq..sorry its hard to read dyno...its a mainline dyno..a few yrs ago i owned an 09 m6 base same mod with also z06 exhaust
and i got 409 rwhp, so i guess the exhaust change was worth about 8-10 rwhp..i didn't want to go thru the hassel this time.
very happy with the mod and tune...easy 25 rwhp pickup..
bud

Bud, first off, Welcome to CAC! :w Looks like you know your way around vettes. Would be interesting to see the pre- and post tune figures if you have them.

Yea, I don't have any pre tune non-modded #s..most have a ball park depending on all the Dyno factors,type,air temps and elevation etc.. But was happy the car put down about 383/372 rwhp first run with the z airbox and filter mod,and after the tune he left the overall at 402 /388rwhp .
it was pretty warm here in San Diego ,if you can believe about :rotfl 80 degrees in his shop and he did about 5 pulls, so there
was quite a bit of heat soak....:w
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/goodbuddyz58/ls3/photo4_zps0d8cad0b.jpg

Bud

Last edited:
402 at the wheels, from a stock LS3 with a Z06 air box and a tune....

How were the dyno numbers corrected?
SAE or std.?

402 at the wheels, SAE-corrected is right at 473 at the flywheel. That much performance from an LS3 modified with only an air box and a tune, is absolutely phenominal. :thumb

In fact, that is so amazing, my advice would be to go in to business performing whatever magic you are doing to other Corvette owners' LS3s. You'll put half the aftermarket out of business.

Last edited:
The correction factor standardizes the power no matter where the dyno is located in the US. It is a standard method to compare apples to apples. ;)

The most common are the SAE standards. The older J607 standard considers that the engine was run on a 60°F day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.92 in-Hg or the newer SAE J1349 standard of 77°F (25°C) day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.234 in-Hg (99 KPa). Also the ECE standard is the same as the SAE J1349, but does not use mechanical efficiency in the calculations. The DIN standard which corrects to 68°F (20° C) day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.92 in-Hg (101.3 KPa) and the JIS standard corrects 77°F (25° C) day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.234 in-Hg (99 KPa), but uses different correction curves than the others (as a substitution for using mechanical efficiency factors). Further, we have the J1995 corrects 77°F (25° C) day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.53 in-Hg (100 KPa).
Corrected Power

Short form, by applying the correction factor, a dyno would show the same RWHP at sea level or in Colorado.

ok guys don't get all freaked out...I was not giving dyno numbers other than what I read off his mainline dyno...I'm not defining sae or corrected numbers or anything else...
I have used this tuner many times...I figure at 402 its about 450 hp at the crank...my 09 a couple yrs ago was 409 rwhp..and like I mentioned I had c6z exhaust on that car...
the z06 airbox with attack blue filter and tune should be good for about 20rwhp..so whats the big deal!:mad
I guess I will stick with the covette forum (which I have been a member of for the past 10 ys) rather than post on this nit-picky site
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/featured-corvettes/modifying-corvette-grand-sport-ls-chevy-v8/

Last edited:
No one is freaking out; sorry if you took it that way. My profession is automotive design engineering. It is fascinating how they came up with a method to standardize power no matter where the dyno is located.

There is quite a difference between the conditions in an East coast city during the summer and Denver Colorado in the winter. Yet supposedly the dynos would read the same RWHP. Without the correction factor, a 400 RWHP car in Richmond, Va would dyno significantly less in Denver.

The numbers are awesome. Good luck with the new tune.

Earlier, I said:
402 at the wheels, SAE-corrected is right at 473 at the flywheel. That much performance from an LS3 modified with only an air box and a tune, is absolutely phenominal. :thumb

Oops. I forgot to differentiate between manual and auto.

My math is based on some parasitic loss figures I got from GM one time, the C5/C6 manual powertrain has about 15% loss, so if your car's a manual, take the 402 SAE at the wheels and divide it by .85 and you get 473-hp.

The C5/C6 automatic powertrain is a little more torque absorbing at about 18%, so with 402 at the wheels SAE from an LS3 auto, you have 490-hp SAE

Either way, that's an amazing accomplishment for just a CAI and recalibration.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom