Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

two crashes due to repeated dysfunction of the acceleration system

warren s said:
Everyone seems to ignore the fact that no car can over-run its braking system
Eh? :confused
What about the cars I've seen brake-stand that overpower the brakes and move forward while smoking tires?

I agree that a car at idle would not be able to overpower the brakes, however a car at WOT has much more power than a car at idle and I can easily imagine one moving forward even with the brakes applied.

A good point was made earlier about taking the car out of gear to halt forward progress. Still sounds like a scary situation to me.
h

78SilvAnniv said:
Eh? :confused
What about the cars I've seen brake-stand that overpower the brakes and move forward while smoking tires?

I agree that a car at idle would not be able to overpower the brakes, however a car at WOT has much more power than a car at idle and I can easily imagine one moving forward even with the brakes applied.

A good point was made earlier about taking the car out of gear to halt forward progress. Still sounds like a scary situation to me.
h
THats what happens when you DONT hold the brake pedal down hard!!
Power braking requires a specific technique. If you do hold the brake hard the smoking rear wheels will stop. The idea is that the front brakes get more pressure than the rear in almost all cars, and by holding the pedal down just hard enough to lock the fronts while allowing the rears to NOT lock. The spin ning rear tires may drag the car foward at a very slow rate. THats why somthing called LINE LOC is a popular device used on cars that see the track. It locks the front wheels only so you dont have to hold the brake to spin the rear tires to smoke and heat them.

Hold your brake pedal down and hit the gas in your car and see what happens.

Yes its very unfortunate what happened. I agree with that. But dont blame the car, and dont go running for a lawyer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom