Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Two more questions from Bo

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
1) My 65 convertable is away for the Minnesota winter. Is there a real good treatment for the top to keep it flexible and in general good shape?
2) Has anyone got any information on converting such a vintage vette to accept E-85?

As usual, thank you all very much.

Sorry Bo, I've been asleep.

What's E-85?

E-85

Tom,
E-85 is the new ethenol that is 85% alchohol. A few car builders have been euiping their new vehicles to handle it for more than a year. It is now available in gas stations across America, and is cheaper than gas in some stations in Minnesota.
Personally, I would much rather support the American farmer than some shiek.
I believe that the secret to E-85 compatibility is to eliminate rubber compounds from the fuel system, and to make sure that everything is strongly gounded.
There are many websites for E-85, and I think that it automatically has a higher octane rating than gasoline.
I would spend more time on this, but I am already late for an appointment. If you want to hear more, let me know.
Thanks again for all your help,
Bo

:L Tom, I'm surprised at you for not remembering the E-85, the prototype predecessor to the F-85, and I'm SURE you remember that one! ;)

_ken

Thanks for the explaination Bo. We don't have E-85 here or else I'm jus ignurnt. But seriously folks, Holley makes all kinds of alcohol carbs and pumps so it shouldn't be a problem to set up an older engine for E-85.

Ken,
Speaking of the F-85, I spotted a '62 or '63 2 door hardtop for sale in Michigan a couple days ago. Looked nice and complete and very solid. Offenhauser used to make lots of good stuff for that 215 aluminum V8.

Tom

Brazilian EtOH

Just relying on memory ... seem to recall that post 70's gas crisis ... Brazil had national program to convert to E fuel ... were pretty successful in converting over (lotsa Beetles there) ... had wide acceptance ... then oil dropped and they were left high and dry (pun intended). Seem to recall EtOH is rather corrosive (& that Brazilians solved that glitch) ... but don't recall details. Maybe there's good practical data to be found from the Brazilian experience.
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom