Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Two Questions

corvette addict

Corvette
2015 Z51 Black/Black
OK about that ethanol.
1. Does the computer pick allow for the 'BLEND" and keeps the engine running like it should? 10%
ethanol here.

2. I use 93 Octane. Can I pour 105 octane in the tank and average the two? It'll be a rough estimate
of how full the tank is at the time. I have a 2010 LS3:).

Thanks

corvette addict

Two really good questions. I am going to defer to the experts here, as I have no idea. Generally, if I run 91 octane (what is available here), I don't worry too much about it. But maybe I should...

Experts? We are listening.

OK about that ethanol.
1. Does the computer pick allow for the 'BLEND" and keeps the engine running like it should? 10%
ethanol here.

2. I use 93 Octane. Can I pour 105 octane in the tank and average the two? It'll be a rough estimate

Thanks

corvette addict

1) Your C6 computer does not know if ethanol is in the fuel, that would be E85 compatible vehicles. Ethanol has a lower specific output of energy than our petrol does, so you will use more fuel with ethanol in it to achieve the same power levels. Most commonly, mpg goes down about the same amount of ethanol percentage in the fuel. Ethanol is not a good fuel for consumers unless the vehicle is set up to run on it for performance reasons. Ethanol has a higher octane rating, and an engine set up properly can make big power through engine design, tuning, and ignition timing, but that same engine will use a lot of ethanol (more than petrol, there is no free lunch). For economy (mpg) and OEM set power levels, 100% petrol is better.

2) You can use an octane booster, but why? If your vehicle is in OEM tune you only need 91-93 octane for max performance and mpg. Unless your engine is built and tuned for a higher octane usage you will just be throwing your money away.

2 Questions

1) Your C6 computer does not know if ethanol is in the fuel, that would be E85 compatible vehicles. Ethanol has a lower specific output of energy than our petrol does, so you will use more fuel with ethanol in it to achieve the same power levels. Most commonly, mpg goes down about the same amount of ethanol percentage in the fuel. Ethanol is not a good fuel for consumers unless the vehicle is set up to run on it for performance reasons. Ethanol has a higher octane rating, and an engine set up properly can make big power through engine design, tuning, and ignition timing, but that same engine will use a lot of ethanol (more than petrol, there is no free lunch). For economy (mpg) and OEM set power levels, 100% petrol is better.

2) You can use an octane booster, but why? If your vehicle is in OEM tune you only need 91-93 octane for max performance and mpg. Unless your engine is built and tuned for a higher octane usage you will just be throwing your money away.

Does that ethanol screw up that engine?

Thanks

Does that ethanol screw up that engine?

Thanks

10% ethanol will not hurt your C6, modern vehicles have fuel systems that can tolerate it. Older vintage vehicles can have fuel system issues with the rubber components, but they can be retro fitted with modern parts.

OK about that ethanol.
ethanol here.

Normal driving when the engine controls are in "closed loop", yes the system compensates for ethanol-blended or "E10" gasoline. Also, FYI, in reality, my own testing and that of many others shows that E10 is almost always 7-8% ethanol or, as I call it, "E7.5".

At wide-open throttle the engine may run a bit lean on "E10" but not lean enough to hurt anything.

Yes. You can add 105 octane and "average" the two according to the proportion of 93 to 105, but be very careful of what you are doing. Make sure that 105 is an unleaded gas or your cataylitic converters will die a quick death from the TEL in leaded fuel.

That said, why do you want to blend 105 octane fuel with pump gas? If your engine is a stock LS3, 93-oct fuel is all you need. The only time you might want a smidge more octane is if you are at the race track on a very hot day. In that case, I'd mix 1:4 100-oct unleaded with 93-oct. Here's a link to a 93-oct. blending chart.

1) Most commonly, mpg goes down about the same amount of ethanol percentage in the fuel. Ethanol is not a good fuel for consumers unless the vehicle is set up to run on it for performance reasons. Ethanol has a higher octane rating, and an engine set up properly can make big power through engine design, tuning, and ignition timing, but that same engine will use a lot of ethanol (more than petrol, there is no free lunch). For economy (mpg) and OEM set power levels, 100% petrol is better.

1) As usual, well said and E-85 equals serious big power! :thumb
I considered having my engine set up to run E-85 with meth until I realized the decrease in MPG it costs. As the old saying goes the only free cheese is in a mousetrap.
Correct, there is no substitution for plain old 100% gasoline with cool air.

2) Again as the Brit's say spot on. Adding more octane to an OEM tune adds nothing except to the imagination. The caveat is as a good tune turns off the knock sensor; one better have a can with them at all times.
Any Corvette is a dynamite road car and it does get any better. Unless you are really going to get into it; my suggestion is to enjoy what is under the hood.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom