Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Two tone 61 Corvettes

harland

Corvette
1961 fawn beige convertible
Hi, I noticed on the straight axle website reference to an optional 2 tone color option. I am familiar that 1961 was the last year for the white coves-am I to infer that it was an extra cost to have these painted white-i.e. not all 1961s had the two tone scheme? I wonder also, if the coves were only white or silver--never black? Finally, I infer that the fawn interior was used in more than the fawn exterior cars as the chart I saw indicated more fawn interiors than the total number of fawn exteriors. thoughts? also, I am not 'thrilled' with the fawn beige vinyl color-compared with today's colors and fabrics, it doesn't 'inspire' me to spend gobs to replicate this. I am leaning towards black leather as everyone is OK with black when the inevitable resale occurs. I read of one fellow who modified the seats to provide some side support, some lumbar-seems sensible if it doesn't stand out like looking odd. Finally, I wonder if anyone has found a tan vinyl soft top that harmonizes with the fawn beige as I think the 'monochromatic' look is attractive. love to get input! thanks, Harland

2-tone paint was an option costing $16.15; approx 1/3 of 1961 Corvettes were 2-tone. Only white or silver coves were standard options (some people claim anything was available if you were willing to pay the price, but I doubt that).

Fawn interior was available with black, white, fawn, or maroon exterior.

Is it your car, or are you just storing it for the next owner?
I tend to be a purist in my old age, but things like convertible tops,
seat coverings and cove colors are easily reversible if you want to return
the car to original. Check with your local upholstery shop, they likely
have catalogs containing swatches of available top vinyl materials.

two tone paint

thanks for the info. This is my car and I hope I will enjoy driving it. I have restored a number of cars but decided to have a friend in ARK who has done about 50 Vettes and knows lots of sources, etc, do the re-cosmetic restoration. I will return the car to the Fawn exterior. I think the fawn interior (just my opinion) is very gaudy as many of the early 60s vinyls. I hope to find a flattering tannish color that will truly harmonize-or go with black. thanks, Harland

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom