Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

U Joint HELP

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Okay, I put my new 3.70 rearend in back in June, along with 4 new Ujoints. Since then I have replaced the Left Outter Joint 4 more times! I do not know why this particular joint keeps giving out. My only guess is I need to put in Severe Duty U-Joints. Any Input?
Thanks, 80VetteL82

Check to be sure the flange isn't bent. Are you using Spicer zerkless joints? If so there is no room for any flange bending. If you installed them without bolting them to a steel plate they will bend and the clip will pop out. I only use spicers and they have held up great. I have a car running at Lebanon Valley Drag strip tonight in fact with those same joints on the car.
If you need some help let me know.
Gary

Thanks for your input. Yah Im using Spicer (with grease fittings). I was thinking I might need the heavy duty non-greasable U joints, but yah Ill definitely check the flange. Which style do you use, and what gears do you have? Do you think a dented half shaft could cause a problem?

Chances are the shafts are dented from someone changing the joints in a vise and crushing them. Most times when I find this I find bent flanges as well. I use only the zerkless spicers and they are a bit bigger. The flange has to be near perfect or else you won't get the clips in and the cap will pop out driving.
I use only Tom's gears in my cars and those I rebuild. I have 373's in 2 and 308 in my 72 cruising car.

Chances are the shafts are dented from someone changing the joints in a vise and crushing them. Most times when I find this I find bent flanges as well. I use only the zerkless spicers and they are a bit bigger. The flange has to be near perfect or else you won't get the clips in and the cap will pop out driving.
I use only Tom's gears in my cars and those I rebuild. I have 373's in 2 and 308 in my 72 cruising car.

Would the dented shaft have caused the bent flange? Or am I okay to keep using the dented shaft? Luckily I havent had any caps pop off yet, its just the needle bearings are getting demolished.

Not usually, it's just a sign that the shafts were not properly serviced. The flanges bend while trying to press or hammer them out without supporting them. The best way to remove them it with a cutting torch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom