Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

UAW stunned by Michigan right-to-work bills

If I choose not belong to the union and do not want to pay the dues the union should not have to provide representation for me. If they do then the union should be compensated for at the going rate for that representation especially when it comes to legal representation at an greivance hearing or arbritration. But once again I should not forced to belong

Nor should they receive the same wage and benefits which the union bargained for.

Kill the unions and you kill your lifestyle !

There main focus is to take away union work by paying lower wages and substandard benefit packages if they have them at all for there employees. An employee has to negotiate for everything on his own even to the point of furnishing their own tools which can be very expensive. From what I have seen they employee one lead man and the rest of the crew is made up of helpers with little or no experience and of course paid marginally.

For those that think this is a good deal go for it. You will have enough to put food on the table. ALL SAID AND DONE YOU CAN KISS THE REST OF YOUR DREAMS GOODBY.
I couldn't agree more with your statements. The young people haven't seen and can't remember what it was like before the unions. I'm 64 and watched my father in law fight to build the unions in the coal mines . He did this from the thirties until he retired in the seventies and told stories of slave like labor for low pay in four foot high mine shafts that you had to crawl through with very little regard for safety and the health of the miners. All the owners of the mines cared about was their bottom line. Sure there is corruption in the unions like everything else in society but weigh it all out and for the small amount that you pay for union dues, you get to have a job with dignity and a pay that will support a family in the middle class instead of poverty.

I think there will be a natural balance to it all. If someone decides to not join the union he will find his tires flat and his car keyed and someones kids will kick the shit out his kids after school......you know...stuff like that. Pretty soon....everybody is in the f'n union....not a big deal.....:D

I couldn't agree more with your statements. The young people haven't seen and can't remember what it was like before the unions. I'm 64 and watched my father in law fight to build the unions in the coal mines . He did this from the thirties until he retired in the seventies and told stories of slave like labor for low pay in four foot high mine shafts that you had to crawl through with very little regard for safety and the health of the miners. All the owners of the mines cared about was their bottom line. Sure there is corruption in the unions like everything else in society but weigh it all out and for the small amount that you pay for union dues, you get to have a job with dignity and a pay that will support a family in the middle class instead of poverty.

:thumb

Thats the problem with unions . If you disagree with them theres no rational discusion just resort to violence and destruction of property. Thats great thats makes them no better than thugs on street robbing and assaulting people.

Thats the problem with unions . If you disagree with them theres no rational discusion just resort to violence and destruction of property. Thats great thats makes them no better than thugs on street robbing and assaulting people.

Oh please. What a load! Time to wake up Rumpelstiltskin. It's not the 70's any more.

No its not the 70's but what happened yesterday shows that some people in the union think it is. The hot dog man who was inside the tent had his equipment destroyed and he was threatened and called vile names by union members. There are afew in any group who give the others bad names it happens in all professions and walks. I am not saying this is the norm for union people. I was never like that and the people I served with werent like that. When we protested we were calm quiet respectful and orderly. Im not against unions. They do good work But I still feel that a person should have the right to choose

I got a problem with that. What's your back ground in dealing with unions? Anything, or just here say? I surmise your just a union hater.

I was a union electrician for 39 years. Now retired. In those 39 years there never was a thought or action that even comes close to what to what you are telling us. If your calling me a thug then I got a name for you, only in thought, I'll spare you of that.

Its hard to imagine that millions of non-union employees toiled away for many decades across the country as part of corporate America. You apply for a job and if accepted, the wages and benefits are laid out for you and the decision is up to you to take the job. If you get a job paying 50 grand a year, that what you make. You don't need a collective organization to tell everyone that because the boss is making millions, we should band together and threaten to stop working unless we get boosted to 75 grand or more. You make your best deal going in. For every employee that says they got fired because the boss was picking on them, there are 1000s that had successful careers.

There is no doubt that unions changed the world for the better, ...many years ago. But today? Not so much.

I am not calling you or anyone involved in this discussion here a thug. If you read my previous statement and also another statement that was made about keying cars or beating up children that is what I was referring to. I also refered to what occured yesterday in Michigan. I did not serve for 39 years in a union but I have been in unions. This was a discussion about Michigan and the law. I am not disrerspecting anyone here. My comments were not directed at anyone here and Im sorry if you took it personally and please read my previous statement. I will repeat that there always a few that give some bad name in all professions and walks

I got a problem with that. What's your back ground in dealing with unions? Anything, or just here say? I surmise your just a union hater.

I was a union electrician for 39 years. Now retired. In those 39 years there never was a thought or action that even comes close to what to what you are telling us. If your calling me a thug then I got a name for you, only in thought, I'll spare you of that.

You need to deal with the USW for a while... I was union... lost my job at Bethlehem Steel in '81 due to the crappy economy; I've been managment in the same industry ever since... I don't need seniority to keep my job! 90% of the people that work for me are great, the other 10% are true A55holes looking for every opportunity to get something for nothing!!! Typical Oblammy supporters...

You need to deal with the USW for a while... I was union... lost my job at Bethlehem Steel in '81 due to the crappy economy; I've been managment in the same industry ever since... I don't need seniority to keep my job! 90% of the people that work for me are great, the other 10% are true A55holes looking for every opportunity to get something for nothing!!! Typical Oblammy supporters...

We had the other 10% are true A55holes looking for every opportunity to get something for nothing long before Obama came along. The are imbedded in every part of the work force. You were probably one of them when you got laid off in 81. They are usually the first to go. Now your a big shot company man who thinks unions are a problem and you digress at the thought of Obama for another 4 years, so you slam dunk him. What about all the big shot CEO'S that embezzled billions under W the guy that reads books upside down. That's ok we won't mention that. Bottom line there's corruption everywhere. Ceo's, management, unions, non union and lets not forget our beloved representatives in DC. Let's be fair here Mr. Managment.

We had the other 10% are true A55holes looking for every opportunity to get something for nothing long before Obama came along. The are imbedded in every part of the work force. You were probably one of them when you got laid off in 81. They are usually the first to go. Now your a big shot company man who thinks unions are a problem and you digress at the thought of Obama for another 4 years, so you slam dunk him. What about all the big shot CEO'S that embezzled billions under W the guy that reads books upside down. That's ok we won't mention that. Bottom line there's corruption everywhere. Ceo's, management, unions, non union and lets not forget our beloved representatives in DC. Let's be fair here Mr. Managment.

In a union shop, the youngest/ lowest seniority workers get laid off first regardless of work history or ability. By the way dcsteg, you pretty much proved the point made earlier in this discussion... you are obviously one of the union members that must resort to attack and violence to prove a point!

In a union shop, the youngest/ lowest seniority workers get laid off first regardless of work history or ability. By the way dcsteg, you pretty much proved the point made earlier in this discussion... you are obviously one of the union members that must resort to attack and violence to prove a point!
Big Jim you feel pretty comfortable right now because the company needs you but as soon as they feel that they don't need you , you will feel all alone and no place to turn for help. We have a local steel mill that is state of the art and making huge profits in the process of building a multi million dollar state of the art strip mill . Many years ago they promised their management people health care for them and their families for life instead of raises and their people thought that was reasonable. Now since they are retired and don't need them anymore , they abruptly took all of those benefits away in 2009. Those people are complaining to local newspapers trying to get sympathy because they have nowhere else to turn. Company workers with unions are facing this also , but at least they have someone to help. You will feel the chill from your company , it's just a matter of time. Then you will be on here complaining.

Big Jim you feel pretty comfortable right now because the company needs you but as soon as they feel that they don't need you , you will feel all alone and no place to turn for help. We have a local steel mill that is state of the art and making huge profits in the process of building a multi million dollar state of the art strip mill . Many years ago they promised their management people health care for them and their families for life instead of raises and their people thought that was reasonable. Now since they are retired and don't need them anymore , they abruptly took all of those benefits away in 2009. Those people are complaining to local newspapers trying to get sympathy because they have nowhere else to turn. Company workers with unions are facing this also , but at least they have someone to help. You will feel the chill from your company , it's just a matter of time. Then you will be on here complaining.

So true. And the older you get the chillier it is.

No just telling it like it is and I attacked no one. By the way not all union shops have the seniority clause and the employer can lay anyone he wants to off when they need to reduce the work force. A concession union workers gave to their employers. I think it's a good deal. That enables them to rid themselves of slackers that rely on the good workers to carry them.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom