Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Uhhhh looks like it could be Heater Core time!

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
When I first start the car I get a slight haze on the inside of the windsheld...NO smell of Antifreeze or anything dripping on the floor (yet).
So will this be fun...:bash:eek:hnoes:hb:(

When I first start the car I get a slight haze on the inside of the windsheld...NO smell of Antifreeze or anything dripping on the floor (yet).
So will this be fun...:bash:eek:hnoes:hb:(

It will be fun!!! Its not hard just time consuming.

On the inside.You will need to remove the glove box. Passengerside consol panel and maybe the center guauge cluster. Disconnect duct work. disconnect cables and vac lines to the core box. Undo all screws holding core box to firewall.

On the outside. Drain antifreeze. Crawl under the car and remove the hoses that attach to the core. If they don't come off easy cut them off and replace the hoses or use whats left only need to cut off about an inch. One bolt on the firewall on engine side holding the core box most miss it...undo it.

Get back in the car and pull/lift/twist core box. it will come out once you figure out the angle. Open the box and replace the core. While you are in there clean it up. Lube the heat/cold air door. Take a look at your blower motor in the fire wall...you be able to see it...get the crud out.

Put it all back together in the reverse. All in all...5-7 hours if you have never done it before.

Don't skimp on the core...you don't want to do it twice. Some aftermarket cores do not align properly...requires bending of the hose extentions....you could break the bond and cause a leak while bending. Get a perfect fit....Delco (but expensive).

Jim

It will be fun!!! Its not hard just time consuming. ..

... All in all...5-7 hours if you have never done it before.

Jim
Good God...I can pull both heads and the Cam in less then 4 hrs...I've done it!:D

Again, thanks for the feedback;)

Do some closer checking first ... if carpet etc is wet for ANY reason it'll haze the glass overnite ... ie leaking ttop/door gaskets will collect some water under carpet/seats ... some vaporizes in daytime... some condenses on cooled glass at nite ... hazed glass.

save your old core! on my 76 i bought 3 new cores that would not fit!finally had the ends off of my old harrison core soldered on to a new core body by a radiator shop.good luck!---john

Do some closer checking first ... if carpet etc is wet for ANY reason it'll haze the glass overnite ... ie leaking ttop/door gaskets will collect some water under carpet/seats ... some vaporizes in daytime... some condenses on cooled glass at nite ... hazed glass.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback ;)

As mentioned in the first post...it only fogs a very small section of the windsheld and (ONLY) when I first start the Car.
Carpets are dry, no usual coolant leak inside etc. and (NO) coolant smell!

The car lives in a garage so no T-Top door gasket leaking etc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom