Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ultra Slow is Here with 16000 LBS of C4....s

Hey Ultra,
Good to see you here!! :gap

Ultra,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. When you get a chance, please reduce the size of your signature picture. We do have restrictions here on the size of pictures that you can use in your signature in order to keep the forums moving fast for everyone, including dialup internet users. Please see:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=1#sigpic

If you need help resizing the picture, let me know. Thanks! :)

I love the big picture of that car!! :)
But then again.. Im on cable...

Glad you are here Ultra!!

-Bill

Welcome! Glad you could make the move. Bunch of nice cars you go there. Want to loan one out to me?:D

Want to loan one out to me?:D

Right now he's busy explaining to the Feds that C4 is a generation of Corvette in addition to being an explosive :D

Good to see you, Matt. This place needs wrench turners...

Ultra, glad to see you made the move. Don't forget to post some kill stories ha ha !!! 84 CF 91 ZR-1

love a guy who posts in both the callaway and the zr1 section and loves em both.

hey ultra, I've been trying for a month of sundays to get some support on building a TT 368 ZR1. a real bear of a project, not cheap but not rocket science either. know of any serious tuners that you think would be good candidates to contact. I've spoken with a few, and some seem serious. I would probably do a 368 conversion on the older 90 ZR1 and keep the LPE 368 "as is" as the new daily driver rather than tear it down.

if the $$ become right, I'm serious about doing it. I've owned 4 turbo cars in the past including 2 turbo buicks (include my current turbo slut, an 87 700 HP Regal, being converted to the GNX body style in white for grins).

my toy box will never quite match up to ultra, but I certainly share the passion for both the zr1s and callaway vettes, very substantial hardware!!!

glad to see you here.

Ron,

Have you talked to Lingenfelter?? I would think they'd be prime candidates and the most experienced?

Good to see you here Ultra!!

Rob, I will send you my sig pic and avatar for resizing soon - been busy; and to answer your question - I asked John L. himself when i dropped off my Z - my question: "How big of a stack of money would it take for you to consider doing another TT ZR1?" He replied with an uneasy chuckle, saying "I've already promised not to do anymore TT ZR1s - can't do it for ya". I chatted with John for another 15 minutes on many different topics - what a cool guy - didn't mind chewing the fat with me one bit!!! On his engine stand was the 1100 hp 4 cyl that was to go back in his dragster for the following weekend.

I hope John pulls through - lets all say a prayer for him!!

;worship

Cool. I've never met John personally, but I've always heard that he's a great guy to chat with.

Yes John is real nice... Anyone know how he is doing on his recovery?

Hey RK...As far as the 368TT... Thats a setup I would love to own and drive but hate to mess with... I have no experince with a ZR1TT whatsoever but with with the experiences I have had with turbo cars in general, factory turbo cars, callaway, etc, I would have to say the ZR1 TT would be a lifetime of work and tinkering under one hood. On the other hand, the power it makes throughout the RPM range could not be matched by anything else within reason. I think if you dont get it done by a place that has already done some, like LPE or Callaway, you would probably be better off just doing it yourself. You will know more about it in the long run as you are definatly going to be working on it and you would not have to deal with a tuner, etc on a project that takes more dedication than real knowledge... Most of the knowledge is avalible right here... It just going to take major time and dedication... You will definatly be more dedicated if its your project over anyone else you can pay.. Unless money is no object.

If I were to build one, I would probably be a little sane with it, knowing it is going to present more problems that expected. I would take a 100% stock engine/car and do the mods to add turbos to it. Since so much time, effort and grief are going to be invested, I would start with a nice car... Not a beater. I would not touch one internal part of the LT5... This will eliminate grief beyond belief...

I would put some mid-size turbos, take the time and do nice plumbing, modest intercoolers, etc. I would try and copy all the headers/manafolds, etc from a nice working setup like Lingenfelter and have it made at local weld shops, etc, or possibly even talk LPE into building the parts it take professional skills on. I would think once you have the major hard stuff, like manafolds, intercoolers, etc, the basic plumbing, fuel supply, exhaust, better clutch, intake ducts, etc can be done yourself. Kinda like buying most of the relevant callaway turbo pieces and making your own, only on a ZR1.

I would figure this combintation on the high compression LT5 engine with about 8-10 PSI would be more than enough power in the 600HP range and the LT5 would take it in its stock form for a good while as long as detonation was prevented with good fuel, proper AF ratios, and you drove it within reason, etc. You would have a ZR1 TT and the headache of building a turbo car on top of a tuner engine would not have to be involved until the unfortunate day you broke it. Then you would already have a good turbo setup, then build a 415 if you want.... Me, I would just stick another stock LT5 in it as I think you are going to have pretty good results that way.

Ultra Slow said:
Yes John is real nice... Anyone know how he is doing on his recovery?

Hey RK...As far as the 368TT... Thats a setup I would love to own and drive but hate to mess with... I have no experince with a ZR1TT whatsoever but with with the experiences I have had with turbo cars in general, factory turbo cars, callaway, etc, I would have to say the ZR1 TT would be a lifetime of work and tinkering under one hood. On the other hand, the power it makes throughout the RPM range could not be matched by anything else within reason. I think if you dont get it done by a place that has already done some, like LPE or Callaway, you would probably be better off just doing it yourself. You will know more about it in the long run as you are definatly going to be working on it and you would not have to deal with a tuner, etc on a project that takes more dedication than real knowledge... Most of the knowledge is avalible right here... It just going to take major time and dedication... You will definatly be more dedicated if its your project over anyone else you can pay.. Unless money is no object.

If I were to build one, I would probably be a little sane with it, knowing it is going to present more problems that expected. I would take a 100% stock engine/car and do the mods to add turbos to it. Since so much time, effort and grief are going to be invested, I would start with a nice car... Not a beater. I would not touch one internal part of the LT5... This will eliminate grief beyond belief...

I would put some mid-size turbos, take the time and do nice plumbing, modest intercoolers, etc. I would try and copy all the headers/manafolds, etc from a nice working setup like Lingenfelter and have it made at local weld shops, etc, or possibly even talk LPE into building the parts it take professional skills on. I would think once you have the major hard stuff, like manafolds, intercoolers, etc, the basic plumbing, fuel supply, exhaust, better clutch, intake ducts, etc can be done yourself. Kinda like buying most of the relevant callaway turbo pieces and making your own, only on a ZR1.

I would figure this combintation on the high compression LT5 engine with about 8-10 PSI would be more than enough power in the 600HP range and the LT5 would take it in its stock form for a good while as long as detonation was prevented with good fuel, proper AF ratios, and you drove it within reason, etc. You would have a ZR1 TT and the headache of building a turbo car on top of a tuner engine would not have to be involved until the unfortunate day you broke it. Then you would already have a good turbo setup, then build a 415 if you want.... Me, I would just stick another stock LT5 in it as I think you are going to have pretty good results that way.

;stupid :gap

a german outfit tried putting turbos on a stock LT5 (gieger I believe), it won't work too well even at low boost. the HG won't hold. while a low boost combo would make acceptable power, my 368 already makes 536 FWHP (not much torq) but if I go to all the trouble of doing this it will definitely start out on an 8-1 CR 368 so I can crank up the boost. my goals are at least 800 hp. it will probably be much easier to build a normal c4 and just stick with the "tried and true" 415 on the zr1. they make huge power, and are durable. I now have a 94 LT1 Automatic "mule" car in good shape that will end up being the basis for a SB turbo car like the one meaney did rather than try to molest my zr1. I think port injected nitrous is the approach I will end up with on the 368 LPE car to give it a kick. much more feasible and less expensive!!!
another 200 HP will be more than I can hook up anyway!!

FYI, back to the turbos,

I got to talk to Graham B from LPE at BG for a few hours about the turbo cars LPE built, and I don't think LPE will ever be selling any parts or doing any more of them. best bet is to wait for one of the 4 that have been built to hit the market, but they will probably be way too expensive for me.

there just seems to be too many obstacles in doing this, I'm pretty handy, but realistic that the fabrication involved is way beyond my skills.

that being said, there are a few shops willing to build the manifolds, and the tuning is what will take lots of dyno time.

Ultra,

if you ever consider doing a TT ZR1, I have lots of info I can share. it's beyond my pocket book right now, even with doing lots of work myself it will be expensive. but the end results would certainly justify the pain IMHO. I thank you for your insights.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom