Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Underhood Courtesy Lights

H

hoot

I recently purchased an '87 coupe. There are 2 courtesy lights under the hood. Is there a switch somewhere to turn them on, or are they supposed to come on automatically when you raise the hood?

Supposed to come on when you raise the hood, that's what happens on my 88, anyway, check bulbs and power to that area , I believe there's switches in the light's themselves............Good luck

Hoot, you may want to check for the underhood fuse. Some people remove them if they have their hoods up for extended periods (so as not to run down the battery) of time, ie. engine maintenance, Corvette shows. etc.

On my ’96 the fuse is above/near the driver-side parking light assembly. It may be different on your ’87. There is a cap that pops open to reveal the fuse. If you have trouble spotting it, follow your electrical lines from the underhood lights to the fuse.

Let us know what you find!

B17Crew
:w

There aren't any fuses on the 87, but there are plugs on each side near the hood hinges. There's also at least one aftermarket kit that adds a switch inline right in back of the front driver's side wheel (well, that's the suggested location).

The lights themselves have mercury switches in them that will make contact when the angle passes a certain amount (same as the center console light) but these go bad over time so they may just need replacing...

[RICHR]

Thanks for the replies. After checking it out, I believe that the bulbs are bad. I will replace them today and see what happens.

Bottom line up front: I'm looking for the mercury switch "pill" located in the light fixture under the hood.

I'm new to the Corvette world so bear with me as I'm still trying to learn the best places to locate parts and answers for the 1985 Corvette I purchased. I'm working the gigs on the car and the power antenna and an underhood light are the two last major items.

I've narrowed the underhood light issue to an intermittent mercury switch "pill". Does anyone know where one of these can be obtained aftermarket? (No, I haven't called the dealer yet for fear of sticker shock.) Any info I can find seems to pertain to the EPA's effort to reclaim as many of these as possible; I don't even know if they are still available.

I appreciate any assistance.
Barry

If you like to show your car, its best to install a small toggle switch that you can pick up at Radio Shack or any electronics store to operate the hood lamps. The best place found to locate is on the frame next to the radiator.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom