Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

underhood light

K

krgoodman

yesterday, while working on the vette, my hood was up for several hours. my battery went down (had to jump it) here's the question......if i remove the bulb will that prevent my battery from draining? one bulb on the drivers side is gone already i tried the good bulb on that side and the light did not come on, plus the lens-cover appears to have melted from the heat. i dont know if that is a problem.
thanks for any info
kevin

You can unplug the lights ...look for a wire on each side near the headlights (connector on each side) ...just unplug them and you are good to go.

The lights are controlled by mercury switches, I think (they make contact when the part being opened passes a certain angle - your center console light works this way); they sometimes go bad. My driver's side light works intermittantly.

For about $10, you can get a kit from Gordon Killibrew that installs a rocker switch under the hood so you can snap the lights on and off when you want to. I did this, and it's kept my battery charged when I forget to lower the hood after working on the car.

[RICHR]

What good are the lights, have you ever needed them at night. Upplug them, it's one connector on each side .
krgoodman said:
yesterday, while working on the vette, my hood was up for several hours. my battery went down (had to jump it) here's the question......if i remove the bulb will that prevent my battery from draining? one bulb on the drivers side is gone already i tried the good bulb on that side and the light did not come on, plus the lens-cover appears to have melted from the heat. i dont know if that is a problem.
thanks for any info
kevin

that one little lite drained the battery?i believe that you should load test the battery or just replace it if its old.dont want you to get stranded somewhere.

SKIP780 said:
that one little lite drained the battery?i believe that you should load test the battery or just replace it if its old.dont want you to get stranded somewhere.
i was suprised as well, took the car to advance auto parts and it checked out ok

Just make sure that when you unplug these lights, to plug them back in when you are finished. I left mine unplugged for about a month because I knew I was going to be doing work. Well corrosion set in. I plugged them in and they didn't work. I had to clean the terminals inside the connectors. Also you said something about the lens covers of the lights melting? My covers are a crystal type material. Did this melt? Or are you lens covers different.

Craig

vetteboy86 said:
Just make sure that when you unplug these lights, to plug them back in when you are finished. I left mine unplugged for about a month because I knew I was going to be doing work. Well corrosion set in. I plugged them in and they didn't work. I had to clean the terminals inside the connectors. Also you said something about the lens covers of the lights melting? My covers are a crystal type material. Did this melt? Or are you lens covers different.

Craig
hello Craig, hey i'm originally from Evansville,been in Florida 24 years now.
yes my lenses are of a plastic/crystal appearance. the drivers side had melted before i bought the car and the bulb was gone. i took the working bulb from the right-side and tried it but it would not light-up, then i got real "lucky and lost the wires down inside the hood.hehe i'm gonna try fishing it out with a straightened-out coathanger tommorrow. i left the other bulb out so as not to drain the juice.

Yep. Those underhood lights draw quite a few amps and will drain your battery. Ditto on the UNPLUG them. The General's designers obviously have "issues" with the Vette lighting systems. Wait 'til you have to replace a fog lamp bulb or a tail light. Good luck!!!

vee93 said:
Yep. Those underhood lights draw quite a few amps and will drain your battery. Ditto on the UNPLUG them. The General's designers obviously have "issues" with the Vette lighting systems. Wait 'til you have to replace a fog lamp bulb or a tail light. Good luck!!!
hi vee how,s it goin'? Man...let me tell ya, after i jumped started the car and opened the hood, that buld was "hotter than hell!" it only took a moment to take the 2 screws out and i had to use pliers to remove it. it was so freakin hot. of course i busted the bulb so now i have none which is fine with me. it won't drain the battery with the bulbs missig will it? a fellow forum member told me i should disconnect them down by the headlights but another member said corrosion could set in on the connectors. what's your take on all this?
thanks for responding
kevin

On newer C4's (I know for sure '93+ has them, but I think it is far earlier than '93) there is a under-hood fuse to turn off the lights. Near the drivers side plug, up in front of the tire, you can find the fuse in a small black case... pull the fuse and Both lights turn off... you can then put the small fuse block back into it's case, so you can leave the fuse out, lights off, without worry of draining the battery or corrosion.

Locate one of the wires to your lights down by the left horn and wire in a toggle switch. There was a hole on the frame that it fit . Cost $2. 10 minutes.

tlong said:
Locate one of the wires to your lights down by the left horn and wire in a toggle switch. There was a hole on the frame that it fit . Cost $2. 10 minutes.
ditto......I used a rocker switch

Len:)

I'd disconnect the switches. There shouldn't be any water gettin under the hood that would corrode the switches, unless you raise the hood for some reason say, when the car is wet and water drips onto the exposed switches. You can spray them like battery terminals, but be careful-some products are spray cans of junk! I think the other posts suggesting a toggle switch will cure your problem. :Steer

krgoodman said:
hi vee how,s it goin'? Man...let me tell ya, after i jumped started the car and opened the hood, that buld was "hotter than hell!" it only took a moment to take the 2 screws out and i had to use pliers to remove it. it was so freakin hot. of course i busted the bulb so now i have none which is fine with me. it won't drain the battery with the bulbs missig will it? a fellow forum member told me i should disconnect them down by the headlights but another member said corrosion could set in on the connectors. what's your take on all this?
thanks for responding
kevin

I have the super trick rubber bootie on my switch. That cost another 50 cents.

Putting a switch in is a good idea. From where I am at there was a corroison buildup. I never thought about putting grease on it. I dont know why i didnt think of that.

Craig

Vettelt193 said:
On newer C4's (I know for sure '93+ has them, but I think it is far earlier than '93) there is a under-hood fuse to turn off the lights. Near the drivers side plug, up in front of the tire, you can find the fuse in a small black case... pull the fuse and Both lights turn off... you can then put the small fuse block back into it's case, so you can leave the fuse out, lights off, without worry of draining the battery or corrosion.
=======================================================
Yep..3 years ago it drained my battery after 2 hrs. so I took the fuse out and no problems since... the reverse lights do the same thing to the battery in a 6 speed...so thats another issue...just don't leave it in Reverse with the key on...(been there done that):L

tlong said:
I rerouted the right light wire so it got power from the left light, then drilled a hole in the hood stiffner and installed a switch right next to the left light. About 30 minutes, but it's a
Corvette, it's worth the effort :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom