Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update from body shop

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Stopped by today and snapped a few photos.

In the photo below the shop had determined that the body mounts on the driver side were shorter than the other. When they took off some of the "body work" in the area they found that it had been previously hit and when it was repaired they did not pull the end out. the wheel well had a bulge in it and when the shop pulled it out they had to stick that piece of plywood to adjust for the offset needed. When they pulled it also brought the outside of the wheel well back in addition to making the body mount dimensions the same on both sides.

sDSC_0144-vi.jpg

A good portion of the front end has been cut off. We are waiting for the new surround and other front end pieces.
sDSC_0150-vi.jpg

sDSC_0148-vi.jpg

After 46 years, the openings for the bumper mounts had cracked and in some cases were no longer proper with the flange around it. Harry and his team are fixing everything to make it 100% right.
sDSC_0146-vi.jpg

Harry explaining some of the details of the repairs.
sDSC_0155-vi.jpg

Adding reinforcements to the wheel well areas...next week they will "tub" the back in about 1.5" on each side to give me a little bit more clearance for the bigger tires and wheels I am using. Only 1.5" on each side give or take to make sure that the soft top will still fit in the pocket.
sDSC_0142-vi.jpg

more areas needing touch up...
sDSC_0143-vi.jpg

long straight edge to make sure that the bottom of the car is straight...will look good when you look down the edge of the car and it is straight and smooth!
sDSC_0145-vi.jpg

more photos and details next week!

Herb looks great

Nice to see a shop actually working on a car instead of storing it for a person

I hope all goes well

Pretty exciting stuff when it your actually seeing progress
so far so good.....based on what I see, they do pretty good work. Not real busy, but then Amherst, Ohio is not the hot spot of the economy for hot rods or other things.....

They are trying to have it done by Christmas or so....give or take. Harry was talking about wanting the chasis back in a few weeks to check for fit and clearnaces.....I like it that it seems to be moving and not sitting!

I stopped at Amherst for coffee a couple of hours ago on my way home from the great state of Cleveland (as Maynard G. Krebs called it). Well actually at the service plaza on the toll road.

It's nice to see somebody taking the time to do it right. Keep the pictures coming.

Tom

I stopped at Amherst for coffee a couple of hours ago on my way home from the great state of Cleveland (as Maynard G. Krebs called it). Well actually at the service plaza on the toll road.

It's nice to see somebody taking the time to do it right. Keep the pictures coming.

Tom
you were so close...less than 2 miles from me and the body shop...you should have called me, I could have come over to plaza, picked you up, gone to see the car and had some coffee with me.....

I'll remember that next time. I was over to Cleveland twice this week. I don't know when I go to work where I'm going until I get there. Cleveland makes more argon than they can use so we pick up as much as we can before they have to start dumping it on the ground. (NO problem there. It is just an element of air and at around -325*F it boils and becomes air again except it is very expensive and even more expensive to shut down the plant and restart when the tanks get full.) We have some very high volume use customers in the steel industry that use several tank truck loads a day that we service out of Butler so we need more than our plant can make. This means that someone is usually going to Cleveland and I get it regularly. PM me your phone # and I'll call you. I usually leave Butler IN about 4pm so it may be too late to go to the body shop but we can get together for coffee and drooling over that EFI.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom