Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

update on BABY in body/paint shop 11/2/04

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
Hi all

went to visit BABY in the shop today and see how the progress is going.
My body/paint guy has made a fair amount of progress on getting the paint stripped since my last visit.
The passenger rear quarter and passenger door are pretty much done and "venting". He was working on the two front fenders and the drivers door while i was there today. next is the hood and roof, than the nose of the car after removing the headlight buckets.
He figures by the end of next week the car should be all completed of the stripping process and he will let it sit for another week or so to finish letting all the chemicals vent out of the fiberglass before proceding.
By the end of this week all the fenders and both doors should be as cleanly stripped down as the rear quarter and passender door already are and by the end of next week the rest of the car should be finished the same way.
after that comes the start of the "real" work - the fixing of the fiberglass anyway on thew body that needs repair.

In case anyone is wondering, we know that media blasting the body would have been MUCH faster - it could have all been stripped down in one day and there is even a media blaster guy directly across the parking lot of my guys shop, but we didn't want to go that route as it would cause more problems later on that would require additional body work such as rounding off or softening of the lines, creases and corners. Chemical stripping is much slower but overall a better way of doing it.

As expected, we have already found some interesting "past history" on prior bodywork done on the car. One in particular was on the front drivers side fender down right above the lip. There was bondo built up almost an 1/8" that someone used to rebuild and reshape the fender on a previous repair. My guy of course will remove all traces of the bondo and repair the fender properly with fiberglass. If you look at one of the pics I'm posting you can see where the bondo is on that fender as it shows up very white.

I took the opportunity today to discuss the overall schedule of the project with him and I told him as long as I can get the car back by March 1st I'll be happy. He thinks it may end up being a little sooner if we are lucky but if he can have it that long it's better yet. He mentioned that between stages of work the longer the car can sit the better. The more it can sit and vent from the chemical strippers it is better for it, same as letting it sit and having the 'glass set up longer after he builds it into the car, and also the longer the paint can sit and cure between coats the better.

i know Larry thinks i'm nuts for letting this project stay in a shop without a definate end date but at least we have a March 1st date which is truely all i car about. With the cold weather coming quickly it would soon be sitting in storage in my garage anyway so better off letting him have it for as long as is needed during the winter to do the job as well as it can be done. I'd rather have it done right the first time than trying to rush things than having to return it to the shop because the paint started to blister from the chemicals not having vented enough before hand, or cutting corners on his time of rebuilding areas of the body properly, etc.

What's scary is that this "project" started off as a simple thing to get it in the shop to repair some blistering on the hood and a few little scratches. It turned out to be a complete front to back, top to bottom redo of the body and a complete new paint job!

i'm now also about to order a bunch of parts needed from LICS that we will need. A complete new set of windshield SS trim pieces, new trim clips, new windshield weatherstripping, rear window sealant, rear window trim clips, screw sets for all the new clips, and door weatherstripping.
The weatherstripping on the car is all new already but chances are they may get destroyed or damaged during removal so better to get new pieces to install during reassembly.

pass rear quarter panel and passenger door

attachment.php

drivers side rear quarter panel - still being worked on

attachment.php

The MAN himself (Joe from Joe's Garage) working on stripping paint from the passenger side front panel. What a messy, nasty job that is.

attachment.php

Joe working on the drivers front fender and door. After the paint stripper you can see him washing it down with lacquer thinner which removes most of the rest of the traces of the paint and primer and than it has to sit and vent to let the chemicals evaporate out of the fiberglass.

attachment.php

Starting work on the drivers side front fender you can see the bright white area around the curve of the fender down by the lip. that is where a lot of the bondo was found.

attachment.php

Looking good Barry. Any progress is "good" progress.

Doug

P.S. If I'd have known that coupes came with that extra cup holder in the back I would have bought one instead of a vert. ;LOL

Hi! Barry

Looking Good!

Corvette projects always seem to start out as small projects and they grow, and grow and grow and grow! I am now adding another 560 square feet to my shop so that I can start my next project. Barry, what kind of stripper is you body man using?

Ray

67HEAVEN said:
Barry,

Just a few blisters and scratches, eh? ;LOL

(P.S. Looks like Joe is a '67 big block fan too. :D)

yep, it REALLY WAS just the blistered paint and a few scratches. Well, plus re-aligning the drivers door that I screwed up but that's another story.....

tigernut said:
P.S. If I'd have known that coupes came with that extra cup holder in the back I would have bought one instead of a vert. ;LOL

gee, your vert didn't come with that option? I didn't know it was limited to only the coupes.
on my car it is listed as RPO #CH001
;LOL ;LOL

61 Silver said:
Hi! Barry

Looking Good!

Corvette projects always seem to start out as small projects and they grow, and grow and grow and grow! I am now adding another 560 square feet to my shop so that I can start my next project. Barry, what kind of stripper is you body man using?

Ray

Hi Ray

yep, this project is growing alright, especially the tab on the new parts i'm ordering. So much for the budget on the paint job - I guess I didn't think about all "little" odds and ends that are going to add up. I suppose I don't HAVE to do some of them but I figure now is the best time to do it. I AM drawing the line at ordering a new windshield and rear window! As mush as i'd like to because of the scratches in the glass, especially from someone in the past getting DA'ing scratches on both pieces it just is beyond the budget right now. Proper logo'd and dated glass would be another $800 or so. I'm going to see if a glass shop can polish out the scratches or at least reduce them and than sometime in the future i'll replace the glass.

Sorry, I don't know what type of paint stripper he is using other than it's a 3M product. I saw the can and saw it's 3M in a blue and white container but other than that I don't know what the product number is - Sorry!

Barry

IH2LOSE said:
Barry I am THRILLED that your moving foward.

so am I!!!!
:D :D

I saw more done within the last 10 days than the previous 8 weeks!
Of course, it did sit at the shop for 5 weeks without being touched.....

BTW, how is your project coming along? I haven't seen anything new posted lately. I hope everything is going according to plan.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Your car will look great. The shop owner is right when he says that it needs time between all the steps in the strip and paint process. It will turn out great and there will be no shrinkage in the paint after the fact.

You are definately right about all projects on these cars escalating as you get into them, but isn't that part of the mystique?:D

As one of our previous presidents said, I FEEL YOUR PAIN

:L

Keep the faith brother....its worth the wait...

Barry,

Sure looks different from the car I saw at Carlisle. They always look bad when stripped (like a shaved cat) but I can't wait to see how ourty she'll be when she gets back on the road!

You are definately right about all projects on these cars escalating as you get into them, but isn't that part of the mystique?:D[/QUOTE]
Ain't no "mystique" aboout it...buy the car, spend the cash. Mathematically put, the ownership of a Corvette is inversley proportional to the balance of your cash funds. But I wouldn't have it any other way;)

Fuelie said:
You are definately right about all projects on these cars escalating as you get into them, but isn't that part of the mystique?:D

NO!! the mystique is just actually being able to own one and drive it.

I could really do without all the added expenses of what's required to maintain a car almost 40 years old and the fact that everything else on the car was in such good condition that if i see anything that isn't just right or perfect i'm driven to have to "fix" it to make it right.

so much for the original thought process when i was looking for a Vette that if i find a great condition car, especially a brand new restored one that after the purchase the expenses were over and all i had to do was drive it and enjoy it.
This is a very enlightening experience! ;LOL

Oh well, I love the car anyway and i'll get rid of it when you pry it from my cold dead hands - even if it means my financial ruin! ;LOL

EBVette said:
As one of our previous presidents said, I FEEL YOUR PAIN

:L

Keep the faith brother....its worth the wait...

Collin, I'm feeling your pain too!
LOL

BTW, how is progress on yours coming along?

ZRGator said:
Barry,

Sure looks different from the car I saw at Carlisle. They always look bad when stripped (like a shaved cat) but I can't wait to see how ourty she'll be when she gets back on the road!

yep, just a bit different of a look on her currently isn't there?
;LOL

but just wait until you see her next year! I may not have a creme de la creme of midyears like your '67 BB and BABY may not be to NCRS level like yours and be able to go for a Top Flight but I think when she is done she will be looking pretty damn sweet and will get her fair share of "oooh's and ahhh's" at shows.
:D

ZRGator said:
Mathematically put, the ownership of a Corvette is inversley proportional to the balance of your cash funds. But I wouldn't have it any other way;)

aint that the truth!!!!

Putting the window mechanism's in, that is tedious work. Working on the rear window trim, trying to "shave" the flashing so the clips are able to attach to the SS trim. Of course waiting for parts, a piece of ss rear window trim and a window frame for drivers side. And finally sent a bumper back for rechrome and waiting for that....otherwise OK....

You will know what I mean in a few more months, when you think you just about got everything, Murphy's Law hits you, and your back a few more months.

However on bright side, got a call for organizers of the "World of Wheels" and they want me to display my car at the show in DC in March....Thinking about that..think it would be a good first show...

Keep info flowing and if you need help let me know...:beer

EBVette said:
Putting the window mechanism's in, that is tedious work. Working on the rear window trim, trying to "shave" the flashing so the clips are able to attach to the SS trim. Of course waiting for parts, a piece of ss rear window trim and a window frame for drivers side. And finally sent a bumper back for rechrome and waiting for that....otherwise OK....

You will know what I mean in a few more months, when you think you just about got everything, Murphy's Law hits you, and your back a few more months.

However on bright side, got a call for organizers of the "World of Wheels" and they want me to display my car at the show in DC in March....Thinking about that..think it would be a good first show...

Keep info flowing and if you need help let me know...:beer

What's the World of Wheels Show? I used to live and work in the DC area but never heard of that show.
i'm still only about 2 1/2 hours from there so that could be a nice show to go and see.
What an honor to be invited to have your car in the show, you should do it, especially after all the hard work and $$ you put in your restoration you should get it out there and show it off after it's done!

Barry,

A rule of thumb on glass scratches is that if you can catch your fingernail in the scratch it isn't going to polish out. Is you could polish that deeply there would be a wave in the glass like sanding out a scratch in the paint without feathering it out to the surrounding area. It makes you wonder why the last guy was too lazy to put a couple layers of duct tape along the edge of the glass before he started sanding.

Joe is a saint. I have stripped several cars and I don't envy anyone the task. My '59 had been painted 5 times at least and took 3 gallons of Zip Strip. The worst one I ever helped with was a '66 coupe that had blue metalflake on it. What a job!! I'm glad you are only finding minor past bubbas and nothing big.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom