Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Upgrade for 12" rotors/calipers

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
Hello folks, I hope to get a response from this C4 group as opposed to the complete lack thereof I got in the "other forum":

I'm building a hybrid C2, it has a tube frame that let's me use C4 components, including coilovers. The suspension and braking system will be from a 92 to 96. I plan on using American Racing TT2 wheels, 16x7 or 16x8. I will not consider going to a 17" rim, I'll go back to 15" before I do that. This car looks stock, no flares, and will be powered by a RamJet 350 fuelie engine mated to a Keisler 5-speed tranny. Looking for a 3.53 rear end.

So.....what vendors are there that will upgrade the 12" rotor/caliper setup so that it will fit with the 16" TT2s? Would it be cost effective to do this or should I just go stock and upgrade the pads?

The car will mostly be a cruiser, but I want better performing brakes if I can get them. Also, the car's weight will be cut by about 300 lbs from factory specs. Any suggestions other than going to 13" setups?

You got problems my friend. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do it with any kind of stock parts. I have upgraded my front brakes to the J55 setup which would work on your car as you describe it with 17's. 16's will not fit.

However, my observation, when I tried to reinstall my 16's on the front (keep in mind, I had to use adapters to convert my early C4 brakes to the later larger J55's), was that you could probably grind the calipers minimally and get clearance to let the wheel spin. Hope this is of some help to you.

Islander said:
... what vendors are there that will upgrade the 12" rotor/caliper setup so that it will fit with the 16" TT2s? Would it be cost effective to do this or should I just go stock and upgrade the pads?
Shootin' from the hip here, but maybe you could talk to someone at So-Cal Speed Shop. I saw a trick setup they did for American Hot Rod where they incorporated disc brakes in a finned aluminum Buick-style brake drum; maybe they have something in mind for your application. Might be worth a try. ;shrug

What about Stainless Steel Brakes, have you talked to them?

Thanks for the help folks, looks like I keep the stock set up and get new Hawk pads to go with it. Not a problem.

Check out the 2-piece Eradispeed brake rotors for the 12" systems at www.tirerack.com. Crossdrilled and slotted, lighter than stock and a direct replacement for the standard 12" rotors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom