Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Upgrade to Big Block?

S

sagnoff

I have an opportunity (+$s) to trade my 67 327/300 Powerglide in on a 427/390 4 speed with documentation. I haven't driven a big block car yet and wondered if I can get some advice. Specifically:
  1. Is the BB as easy to maintain and use as a driver as the 327?
  2. Is it "more fun to drive"?
  3. What about running hot|?
  4. Obviously, it should hold it'sdvalue better in the long run, right?
  5. How loud are the side exhausts?
Haven't made up my mind yet. Any input would be appreciated.:confused

Drive it........ you'll have no doubt what to do :D

But here's some answers for ya :

1) Just as easy (hydro cam, holley, etc....just like a 300)

2) Only you can be the judge of that... but i think you'll like the 390's low RPM power. Most people, that drive moderately, much prefer the 390 to the 425/435 (the solid lifter BB's don't turn on till ~5000 RPM...i.e., the 390 is better at lower the RPM used in "normal" street driving)

3) There is less "design margin", but if it's properly maintained it won't be an issue. (what I mean is that the SB cooling system can be allowed to degrade more before you start to have a overheating problem, the BB system dosen't have as much "fat" in the design).

4) Check the current prices.... i think the BB cars will continue to hold there own :)

5) Again, only you can be the judge.... but they are loud, especially on a coupe (I wouldn't have a mid-year without them myself)

Drive it, and let us know what you think. (i think you'll see what all the fuss is all about :D )

Here's my opinion:

1) I had a 390 horse that ate plugs but was a faily fresh build and ran strong. I also had a '70 El Camino LS6 454/450 that was absolutely trouble free. Go figure. The 390 should be a pleasant street engine.

2) Will it be more fun to drive? That depends on what you want out of your car. Seat of the pants thrust, sound and feeling of power..yes it will. Handling through the twisties...no it won't. Having owned both and ran them to the limit I can say that the small block car will reward you with good contol in the curves. The big block adds a lot of weight over the front end and when pushed it will push or plow. In other words the thing will stop turning and slide straight off the outside of the turn front tires turned and screaming for mercy. You can overcome much of this with a good degree of parts and suspension tuning but it won't be cheap. For modest driving you probably won't have much problem.

3) Never had a big block that ran hot but you will want to upgrade to a big block radiator with the swap.

4)Here I have to say no. If your Corvette is a matching numbers, all original car with the 300 horse it will not be worth as much to a collector with a non original motor. A matching number big block car, of course, will be worth more than a similar condition small block car. If you swap be sure to save the original engine and all pieces you take off. It could mean a lot in value if you ever decide to sell the car. Also don't forget the cost of a big block hood and painting. You will need the clearance.

5) Factory side exhaust are sweet. If talking on the cell phone or hearing your sound system is real important to you then side exhaust may not be your cup or tea. The aftermarket header style ones are much louder than the original type though.

Tom

#1 yes.#2 definitely yes. #3 compared to my first corvette, 1964 small block, the small block ran at 180 and the big block runs at 190 degrees,nothing you couldn't handle. no.#4 probably to more than likely. and #5 well a little but you won't mind, trust me.
Buy it you'll like it. if not sell it but I doubt you'd sell after owning it a while.

Wayne

I have a 427/390 in a '66 coupe. I find it very enjoyable and love the ability to just step down on the gas while ascending a hill in 4th gear at 40-45 mph and feel that torque. I don't have overheating problems but I wouldn't try to run in a parade on the 4th of July with the A/C on, that's for sure. The previous owner put a HD water pump on and installed a Harrison Radiator. He also misguidedly installed a 160 degree thermostat that does nothing other than limit heat I get in the winter time in my opinion. I recently bought a '60 283/230. Great looker and runner. Top down, warm night, plenty of thumbs up, etc, a real joy. But the next day I got the big block out and fell in love all over again. Nothing runs or sounds like a big block. As previoulsy stated, with side pipes forget the phone but you can listen to beautiful music instead and you don't need a radio. When you go to the show, if all of the Vettes have their hood open see which mill gets the longest stares. It's your car, you bought it to please yourself. Drop that bad boy in there!

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I'm not planning to swap the BB in, but trade in on an original, documented, big block car.

sagnoff said:
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I'm not planning to swap the BB in, but trade in on an original, documented, big block car.
Full speed ahead!:Steer

The only advantage I see of the small block is that it would handle better.
The advantages of the big block are value, brute force, bragging rights, the 4 speed (I hate autos), and documentation. Documentation alone can add thousands to the value of your car. Side exhaust has a definate cool factor as well.

For me there would be no thought involved just based on transmissions. I'd say drive the big block car and if you like it better, go over it very carefully then get it and don't ever look back. If you like the small block better, then stick with it.

sagnoff said:
I have an opportunity (+$s) to trade my 67 327/300 Powerglide in on a 427/390 4 speed with documentation. I haven't driven a big block car yet and wondered if I can get some advice. Specifically:
  1. Is the BB as easy to maintain and use as a driver as the 327?
  2. Is it "more fun to drive"?
  3. What about running hot|?
  4. Obviously, it should hold it'sdvalue better in the long run, right?
  5. How loud are the side exhausts?
Haven't made up my mind yet. Any input would be appreciated.:confused
I love my SB.....but would REALLY like to have a BB!........or a fuelie.
I would do it.......in a heart beat. :_rock

Positives: It's a small block on steroids.
Negative: Nose heavy & poor handling (If you're going around corners).
Straight ahead - handles great!

What are the quaility levels of the two cars in question? Big Blocks are tons of fun.Nothing cooler then being able to fry the tires off the rims in any gear.But I would suggest ignoring the big block motor and consider the quaility of the car and what you would need to do to it

My car is so-so although I have put $$'s in rebuilding the engine, trans, new exhaust, etc. The trans is a Turbo 350, not original. The big block is fulley restored and detailed by County corvettes and is fully documented and looks great. Should be a no brainer!

I have heard nothing but good things about County Corvette!

sagnoff said:
My car is so-so although I have put $$'s in rebuilding the engine, trans, new exhaust, etc. The trans is a Turbo 350, not original. The big block is fulley restored and detailed by County corvettes and is fully documented and looks great. Should be a no brainer!
Sounds like you are definatley upgrading the quaility of your car with the restored one over your excisting car.Now you just have to take a step back and figure out the value of the new car over the value of your car.Trades sometime get confusing for a buyer.Have fun and check in with us after you make a deal with some pictures of your new car.Also are you sticking with a convertable or going to a coupe.

sagnoff said:

Are you looking at the silver 66 coupe? :_rock

Actually, I'm looking at the covertible which the restored (marina blue) if I can work the price. If it works out, I'll post some pictures next week.

Sagnoff

I'm only about 30 minutes from County Corvette. If you need me to run over there to check out anything on the car for you just let me know, I don't mind.

Barry

Just drive it!!!!! You will know for sure in about 500 ft. Good Luck!!!:D

Thanks Barry. I'll let you know if I could use your help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom