Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Upgrading hood prop need pics of late C4's

JrRifleCoach

Corvette
Z16
Need a little help from the 87 to 96 owners. I'm trying to upgrade the hood prop from the early sissors type. I've never really paid much attention to this area when viewing others engines.

My question pertains to the different models of hood props and specifically the mounting brackets.

Am I correct that there are two versions? A spring assist and a hydraulic/gas rod?

The spring version mounts are permanently attached? And the gas type has ball/socket mounts that will allow the strut replacement?

My goal is to convert to the gas type.

Don't know about the spring type but mine has a gas assist. The gas asssist doesn't actually assist much, and if you bump the rod while working underneath the hood will come down on you. Luckily if you are close enough to bump the rod you can catch the hood without it really slamming down on you.

If you would like these parts are available since I lost my Vette in a fire. PM me and I'll send them out to you.

Welcome to :CAC

:w

PM sent!
Thanks for the quick reply!

I like your car pic from PonyExpress. Who was that fabulous photographer?

Thanks for the detail pics!

:beer

I've also done this conversion and have some pix available if you need more. There are two kinds of hydraulic rods, one which mounts at the bottom of the front wheel-well (the later C4 style) and one that uses a curved bracket that mounts near the front top of the wheel-well (the 87-89?) style. That one uses a pushbutton and a weaker hydraulic rod and depends a lot on the two small struts at the bottom of the hood, but it's the easier to install. The later style has a gas strut that slips sideways a tiny bit to lock in place but will still hold the hood if it gets bumped. It also helps lift the hood more. However, you need to grind or cut part of either the lower strut mounting bracket or the cross-fender bracket because the two of them want to share the same space...
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom