Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Upper Radiator Hose Collapsed ?

That seems about it...one other thing

Whatever you do, do not run a small block chevy engine for any significant amount of time, or many others, with no thermostat. That really applies even more if you have aluminum heads.

Without a thermostat or flow restrictor (washer-like, visualize a thermostat, but with the guts gone) the fluid level when running will be too low in the heads - worse uneven. Warping and cracking can result. The thermostat acts like a "stop log" to flow, causing coolant to "mound up" behind it.

I like the slightly larger openings and bleed-off/flow-around designs of the "high flow" or "high pressure" thermostats. They don't actually open directly against water pump pressure like conventional ones and equalize the pressure to some degree on each side of the thermostat. Since thermostats are only $5-10, it's up to you whether to try to get a refund or replacement from GM.

Good advise Wayne..

No I would never run an engine without a thermostat. If engines didn't need them, then General Motors could have saved millions of dollars on not installing them on all of their cars and trucks.

Today I just picked up a NAPA thermostat since I was needing to go there anyway for someother parts. I did go a bit cooler from a 190 degree to a 180 degree thermostat since my engine seems to run a bit warmer during the summer months. Next Fall I will probably pull the radiator and have it sealed, rodded and painted after the car is done for the summer and Fall Season of Corvetting!

CHECK THE CAP NEEDS TO PURGE FLUID BACK AND FORTH ONE OF THE VALVES IS MOST LIKELY STUCK STEVE
:w

It's done..thanks to everyone!

Well today the last ordered part arrived and was installed, a new radiator cap from Chevrolet.

What I have done....

Replaced Upper Radiator Hose & Hose Clamps.
Repaced Radiator Cap.
Replaced Thermostat w/180 degree one & paint housing.
Removed and painted Valve Covers and replace Valve Cover Gaskets and Gromets.
Replace PCV Valve.
Paint Air Breather Assembly.
Paint Engine Block and Intake Manifold
(Where I could reach without pulling the engine).
Top Off Coolant Level w/new coolant.

Ran engine to check for any leaks..

NONE!

This little project took about two weeks, but did a little at a time and all parts except thermostat had to be ordered and Upper Radiator Hose was not the right one the first time.

What do we expect with a 24 year old car?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom