Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

?? Used C5's

I'm going to buy a C5 used (1998-2001)
I've read about oil consumption on the LS1 engines.
Is there a way to tell which engines had this problem? I mean after you buy it you won't know for about 3k miles right?
Any advice is appriciated.
Thanks,

GusVette said:
I'm going to buy a C5 used (1998-2001)
I've read about oil consumption on the LS1 engines.
Is there a way to tell which engines had this problem? I mean after you buy it you won't know for about 3k miles right?
Any advice is appriciated.
Thanks,

I don't know how you can tell before hand, but it is a somewhat common problem. I know someone who has an '02 that is going to be re-ringed soon. 1 QT every 800 miles or so.....

Try to find as new a model year as possible. I just had a conversation with a mechanic at the Chevy dealer down the street, and he said that he has seen a dramatic fall off in visits for '00 models and newer...

I was talking to him because my '97 was in his stall.. :)

Good luck on your purchase, hope you find a nice Vette that doesn't give you alot of problems.

Mick

I concur with Mick. Frankly the y2k I have is great. I've heard that there are electrical problems with the 98 and 99. Oil consumption is dependent on how the car is driven when new. If you run it at 3k+ rpm for any long duration, you will burn oil. If you don't you won't.

I love my y2k, I had problems with the column lock and still do periodically. But, it is a great car. Honestly, I would eventually love to add a Z06 to my collection too.

One suggestion tho, I bought mine in December. Car dealers know that people do get the urge in the spring/summer. I asked the dealer if he wanted to pay the car payments or if he wanted me to while the car is garaged. The dealer knocked over 10k off the car.

Happy hunting and don't forget to wave

Mike

Our previous '98 coupe didn't use any oil to speak of during the 22k miles we had it. Our 03 used less than 1/2 a quart in 4000 miles. It's just about broke in now.

The 98 was an auto and the 03 is a stick. I think the comment about high RPM is appropriate and may explain the 'higher' oil usage on our 03 - it's hard to shift before 3000 since it sounds and feels so good.

Get the VIN number for the car(s) you are interested in. Go to the dealer you plan to use for your service and he (or she) can run the numbers through the computer and see it had any warranty work done. Also see if they'll check out the car for you before you buy it. (Run a carfax. I used the unlimited 30-day thing. It was well worth the money.)

If you want to be extra safe, if the current owner already has an extended then buy it from them. If not, you can have the current owner buy the extended warranty, if the car is still under the original warranty, and then transfer it to you. You can cancel it and cash it in if you decide you don’t want it. If the car is under the original warranty and the owner doesn't want to get the warranty for you then ask your dealer to put the car through their books for you and buy the warranty from your dealer. [Basically the current owner sells the car to the dealer and you buy it from the dealer. Some dealers will do this for a few hundred bucks but remember if you are buying the warranty the dealer makes money on it anyway. Talk to the business manager at the dealer first. He (or she) makes the commission on the warranty.]

My advise is to buy a 2001 or newer if you can swing it. They all have active handling standard and the LS1 has higher horsepower than prior years. Most of them are still under the 3 year original warranty. If you can't or don't want to afford 2001 or newer don't worry. Just look for a good one have it checked out and enjoy.

I believe 2001 is the year that you need to be concerned with oil consumption..as that was the year the rings were altered to improve the car..

There must have been a bad production run of rings in 2001 and that is what often caused a problem....

I had the re ring performed under warranty and now the car runs great.

If I were to suggest to you a model year to buy with confidence..it would be the 1999 production run. Try and get active handling/z51 suspension and a six speed. That would be my suggestion.

One of the best performance values in the marketplace.

Great cars...both my 99 and my 2001 Z06..

1999 never used any oil either.

2001 Z06 did at a rate of a quart of oil every 300 miles until the re ring. Now its as frugal with oil as the 99.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom