Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vacation Plans

Toms007

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
Hey guys, Been working on the plans for the summer vacation. We will be in the Corvette. We have 2 weeks. One thing on the agenda is stopping to see friends in Grand Rapids, forum member Scottsredvette and his wife. The plan is leaving the KC area July 5, a stop in Effingham is a must. Going on up through Indianapolis and north toward Grand Rapids, MI. The visit with Scott and Claudia for a couple three days (if they will have us that long :chuckle) Then heading on over toward Niagara Falls. So will be crossing into Canada.

Looking for things and forum members to meet along the way. Anyone have advice on things to see and do along the way? Any one here along the way? Mac, are you along the way? Are there any worthy car museums?

Trying to get things nailed down, so chime in here and help Rosie and I plan this trip.

I am in Ottawa which is a long day's drive (or ride) from Scott's house... Ask me how I know!! :chuckle:chuckle

Mac

Yea, when I made the original post I hadn't looked at your information, or I would have known where you were. For some reason I was thinking Toronto.

If it were me, I'd hit the Baseball Hall of Fame (Cooperstown,NY, not too far from Niagra) and heading back to Kansas, I would hit Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Not sure if y'all are as big a sports fan as I and my wife, just chiming in. :)

Otter, We've been to the football HOF, although many years ago. Cooperstown is a good suggestion. I'm a Royals fans and follow baseball more than football. Thanks. :thumb

Tom
I went to the Baseball HOF in the 90s and spent all day there - they had to kick me out. My brother and I plan to visit it again this year, either before or after the NCM Labor Day 21st celebration. You could swing down that way on the journey home and also stop in Louisville for the Louisville slugger tour - did that 2 years ago - and it was great. Say hello to Scott and Claudia for me.

Barrett

Will do, Barrett. How have you been?

Did Byron ever get a Corvette? Or doe she still tag along with you?

Tom if you are planning to get to the HOF let me know and I'll try to catch up with you ..
I'm about a hundred miles or so from there...
just let me know the dates you'll be around here,so we can get off from work....

I'm going to be on the move most of the year myself; around the Fourth I'll probably be transitioning from a job site in Huntsville, AL to one in Buena Vista, CO -- so I'll be nowhere along your planned route. But if you make it as far south as Louisville, KY to hit (pardon the pun) the Louisville Slugger factory (which is something I should do myself while I'm spending so much time in Kentucky), I'd suggest a couple of additional things in Kentucky: I'm told (but again, haven't done it myself) that the Kentucky Bourbon Trail tour is interesting; and, of course, if you haven't done the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY, you should.

One of the things I try to do when I'm on the road during the summer months is catch my Buccos at visiting ballparks. Unfortunately, it looks like your Royals will be at home during most of the period when you're on the road (in fact, it looks like they're hosting the Pirates for three games, 20-22 July, right after you get back). The Royals will be traveling to play the White Sox on 17-19 July, which is right at the tail end of your trip, but Chicago may not be along your return path. But being a baseball fan, there's ultimately nothing preventing you from simply checking out a game, regardless of who's playing and where. PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great ballpark to just take in a game; but again, Pittsburgh may not be along your planned route. For what it's worth, the Bucs are at home 03-12 July. If you pass through the 'Burgh, even just to take in a game at PNC Park, get back to me and I'll give you the low-down on things to see/do there.

If your return leg brings you back through Pennsylvania, you'll likely be traveling across the PA Turnpike. Given the time period during which you'll be traveling, it'll be too early for Corvettes at Carlisle, although there will be other car-related events taking place in Carlisle around then. Also, if you're so inclined, you could bail off at points along the Turnpike to hit such sites as the Gettsyburg National Military Park or the Flight 93 Memorial. If you do visit Gettysburg, you might try to pick up some fresh peaches in nearby Chambersburg -- assuming they're being harvested then; I seem to recall they generally come in a bit later in the season. Can't beat Pennsylvania corn-on-the-cob either; you should be able to find a good supply of that around mi-July at road-side stands throughout the state; but it's best eaten as soon after you buy it as possible...

If you wind up in northeastern Pennsylvania, I'm told the Martin Guitar factory tour is worthwhile as well.

Wherever you end up going, safe travels!

Last edited:
Otter, We've been to the football HOF, although many years ago. Cooperstown is a good suggestion. I'm a Royals fans and follow baseball more than football. Thanks. :thumb

Drop down to my little part of North Carolina. We'd love to host y'all. You can visit nearby NASCAR garages, HOF. the Petty complex, etc, and even take in a baseball game here in town, where the Royals Rookie League team plays. On the way back west (I-40) are many great stops like Asheville, the great mountain drives (including the Tail), Nashville, the NCM and road course, etc. We made trip west from here in December, and had a ball - even in Dec.

It wouldn't be too much out of your way to visit me. I live in Grand Rapids, MI. :thumb

Thanks guys, for all the suggestions. I doubt seriously that we will be going that far south. Rod, we are going to be in G.R. visiting a few things there. Would love to meet up with you!

Thanks guys, for all the suggestions. I doubt seriously that we will be going that far south. Rod, we are going to be in G.R. visiting a few things there. Would love to meet up with you!

GREAT Let's try to work that out. What are the tentative dates?

Did Byron ever get a Corvette? Or doe she still tag along with you?

Tom
Byron never did purchase a corvette - he still tags along with me. However, he does purchase raffle tickets that I sell for the Museum in hopes of winning one.

Barrett

GREAT Let's try to work that out. What are the tentative dates?
Leaving the KC area July 5 heading that way. Figuring a two day drive up there. Stopping in Auburn to see the museum there. We're staying with Scottsredvet, can't remember where exactly they live, but not far from GR. They want to shows us around the GR area. Probably around the 7th-9th sometime.

Barrett, at least he's good company, right? Tell him "Hi" from us.

Leaving the KC area July 5 heading that way. Figuring a two day drive up there. Stopping in Auburn to see the museum there. We're staying with Scottsredvet, can't remember where exactly they live, but not far from GR. They want to shows us around the GR area. Probably around the 7th-9th sometime.

Barrett, at least he's good company, right? Tell him "Hi" from us.

Let's try and get a lunch in. When we get closer we can firm up details and see if we can do it. Looking forward to meeting you.
Rod

Rod, that sounds like a plan! I believe we have met before. Cruisefest 2005 in Bowling green. I'm not a very memorable person.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom