Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vacuum leak

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hey guys,
I assume the best way to check for aleak is a vacuum gauge. If so , where would I connect it ?
Thanks

Here's how I did it:
Disconnect the vacuum line going to the timing advance.
Hook that line to your vacuum gauge.
See what the gauge reads.
Then start disconnecting and plugging vacuum lines.

While watching the gauge, if you disconnect a vacuum line the needle will fall (because you just created a huge leak). Plug the line you just disconnected (golf tees work well).
After you plug the leak, does the gauge return the same position or do you now have more vacuum?
If the vacuum is unchanged, than there is no leak. If the vacuum increases, then you have a leak in part of the system that is disconnected.

Someone may have a better way. That is just the way I find leaks.

A more traditional way is to leave everything connected and spray vacuum lines with carb cleaner. If there is a leak, the carb cleaner will get sucked in and make your idle jump for a second. That also tells you exactly where the leak is.

C3's are infamous for vacuum leaks thanks to our headlights.

Good luck!

I have one headlight that doesn't go all the way up. Ther is no binding. Must be a leak

Hook the vacuum guage to the vacuum line going to the headlight actuator and check the vacuum level, then do the other one. If the readings are the same at the vacuum line, then the actuator has a leak in the diaphragm. If the readings are different, then the leak is in the line between the two actuators.

Thanks guys, you're always ready to help.

Let you know how it goes.

Hey guys, I rebuilt the actuaters (boots, seals and rings) and my headlights work great now! Wasn't hard at all, just took some time.
Thanks, Jim B

Thanks for letting people know that the problem you had is now solved.
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom