Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vacuum reservoir tank removal

Just doing research

What I'm saying,

The VAC tank for a 73 is under the headlights
and bolted to the frame and there is no other vac reserve.

There is Evaporative (sp) canister in a 73 where your magic cigar box is.The Evap canister is used for collecting fuel vapor and turning it back into liquid to return back to the tank ( or visa versa )

and there is a seperator that is in front of the tank mounted on the upper frame rail ( which you can never get to unless you drop the tank )

These two items are part of the SMOG system on a 73

I'm guessing your 72 has to be VERY similar

Mike

Clear pix!

So this tank is ON TOP of the vapor canister,

Hey wait...does the 72 have that flap for the wipers????????

And what do they do in the front section of the frame...no big tube?????

Head's spinning.

Mike

Well....

I retested the tank last night with better plugs for the ports and it held vacuum, so I guess it's OK. Mr Miller must not have sealed the other 2 ports properly the night before. Anyway, also did a vacuum test on the relay valve for the wiper door. According to my info, you should plug the green port and attach the vacuum pump to the yellow and it should hold if the valve is good - it didn't. So hopefully, I've identified the leak/problem. Will know when the new relay is installed. Sorry for the wild goose chase, but I am very appreciative for everyone's help. The saga continues......

Bob, don't have a digital camera. Hopefully that will change soon.

Bill

What Is ??

Hey Bill,
What does "GETCHA" stand for ? LoL.

:w
Steve.

GETCHA

I decided to form a club since nothing at the time was available locally. GETCHA stands for Geater East Texas ChromeHead Association. Membership in GETCHA reqires you to own a chrome bumpered vette and, of course, be geographically correct as defined by Rand-McNally. GETCHA is active locally, supporting charitable organizations, conducting various rallies and shows, hosting vette oriented mechanical workshops and continuing education seminars, and providing down time for members to relax and enjoy networking and relationship building. We are always looking for new members and would welcome anyone who qualifies for membership and espouses the beliefs and principals of GETCHA membership.

Hope this answers your question, Steve. You're the first person to ask.

Bill

Man o' man. This thread was like a roller coaster ride. It was certainly an interesting ride to the end. Was there and end? LOL
I think I am stuck on a loop de loop and can't seem to get down. :)
I hope all is cleared up about you mysterious little cigar box. :w

It ANIT over untill......

The FLAP lady lifts...

Sorry
Mike

I'm done...

Looks like my vacuum problem is a failed relay. Only other dilema is an empty cigar box. ;)

Bill

Don't ya just love when that hard confusing problem turns out to be a simple fix !!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget the cigar box, smoking is not good for you anyway.

closer look at '71 vac rez

I took a glance at my '71's vac rez with L48, AC & auto. And there is also an emissions Evaporator Canister located directly beneath the vac rez. I tried to remove the eggcrate from driver side to get a better look ... removed two top screws from it; it began to swing out from top ... but something was holding it from bottom :confused ... any ideas:confused ? Anyway, the vac rez does NOT appear to be welded to frame ... it's several inches above frame rail; it appears the Evap Can is setting on a plate that is bolted to frame ... but I didn't look so close.
JACK:gap

There is a reason

Again, back to 73..

There is a hose on the BOTTOM of the EVAP canister
which looks like it MIGHT go thru the sheet metal bottom (or run just above it) with a piece of rubber hose and attaches to a hard line running back to the fuel tank.

LET GO>>>ARRRGH!

Mike

Vac tank locations

See what I'M not sure about...

I know in 73 ( and up ) the big tube running under the headlights welded to the frame is my Vac rez tank.

In 72 to 68 do you guys ONLY have the mystery tank
OR
do you have both???

And if you have both..is the "Cigar Tank" only for the wiper lid???

Mike

Ah Ha

Jack, on my 72, there is a locking nut under the eggcrate louver which holds the bottom in place in addition to the 2 screws at the top. The locking nut should be accessible from underneath.

See, I did learn something from all this. :beer

Now, Stryker_78, where should we go from here? :D

Bill

Mike....

I only have the mystery cigar tank, hereinafter referred to as Macanudo. The Big Mac serves both wipers and headlights, as far as I can tell.

You deserve a break today, :J
Bill

68-72 Vacuum Tanks

I believe that the 1968 through 1972 Corvettes used a vacuum tank that resembled a metal lunch box mounted to the left fender well inside the engine compartment.

One hose leading from the intake manifold, through a metalic disc and then to the vacuum tank, supplied the vacuum to the tank. One hose should run from the vacuum tank to the hradlight actuator mounted in front of the radiator and between the headlights and the third and final hose should run through the firewall to operate the climate control system controls and valves.

It is best to test the vacuum tank in place by plugging the two output ports and supplying vacuum with a vacuum pump to the vacuum supply port.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom