Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VATS (vehicle theft) module, where is it located?

L

LenPal

I am installing a VATS bypass as my car won't start.

I need to find out where the module actually is. I need to find the wires associated with the module.

I found a picture of the module in another thread but not where the module is located is located.

Vats module picture.jpg

Appreciate the help.

Len Palmer

VATS module, 1990 convertible previous question is for a 1990

I forgot to include the model year of the car.

1990 convertible.

Len

I'm going on memory here as I don't have a 90 FSM anymore. As I remember, you don't need to access the VATS module (located inside the passenger side dash) unless the module itself is bad (very rare in my experience). If you have a VATS by-pass assembly with the correct resistance, all you need to do is connect the by-pass between the two thin, yellow wires coming out of your ignition switch going to the VATS itself. That way, the VATS always sees the correct resistance value and starts the Vette.

Here's where an FSM would help: The connection between the ignition switch and the wiring leading to the VATS is accessible from underneath the driver side instrument panel. I don't remember the exact sequence required to remove the lower panel for access; however, maybe someone on the forum has an FSM and can post the proper sequence for you.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the repair. :beer

I forgot to include the model year of the car.

1990 convertible.

Len

Starting in 90 the VATS was built into the CCM also called the Body Control Module. It's located below the radio on the transmission hump.

For a 90 the CCM reads the key pellet and if successful the CCM will
enable the starter relay and the ECM will pulse the injectors.

The other part is the alarm. When the alarm is set and either door is
opened (or the hatch for a couple) the horn will pulse.

Most people bypass the pass key part when the ignition key cylinder wires or contacts go bad by disconnecting the two pin connector from the ignition key cylinder at the base of the steering column and place a resistor across the wires leading back to the CCM. The resistor value needs to match the resistance of the key pellet.

Correct fix would be to replace the ignition key cylinder or key if the pellet
is worn out.

You can also reprogram the Eprom to disable VATs. If you use this method you would also need to ground the starter enable relay.

If the the pulsing of the injectors is a problem, there is a module you can buy that will generate a square wave and send it to the ECM.

Here's a link where you can purchase the resistors if the key cylinder or key
pellet is your problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directed-65...Keys_Transponders&hash=item43d097acbd&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
VATs system bypass

Appreciate the info.

Len Palmer

An indication the key pellet isn't read properly is when you turn the ignition key to On
the Security light in the left side of the dash cluster stays ON.

Normal operation is with both doors closed the Security light is Off.
When you turn on the ignition the Security light should be Off indicating
the key was read properly.

If it stays On there is a random delay of about 4 minutes where the starter
won't engage. You must wait for the time out period to expire before
attempting to start the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom