Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vehicle Identification

Corvette
1968 Convertible
Hello From New Zealand, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to find out what motor your car was born with. I have a 68 Convertible that I bought out of Hawaii. It is running 350 and I know they only came out with a 327 or 427. If you don't have or can't find the build sheet, how would you go about finding out if its a big block car or not?? The VIN numer doesn't help? Any suggestions?? Anyone know where the Build sheet was stuck on the 68 convertibles??? Thanks, Dave

I belive the build sheet is on top of the gas tank, if its still there.

Thanks Okie, I also have a 78 and while having some rear bumper work done, the build sheet was on top of the tank as you say. I left it there as to get it off, really the tank has to be dropped out, otherwise you rip it all to shreds. So the 68 may have it in the same place, OK, I'll see if I can see it without removing the tank. Thanks for you reply. I think the only way to find out what you have exactly is to find that sheet, yes? I suppose there isn't a library or file anywhere that has recorded what went in each car according to the chassis or VIN number??? Dave

Your only hope is to find the build sheet. Reach up over the gas tank as see if you can feel a piece of paper. If so, you have the "tank sticker" which will tell you all about the car. It could also be under the carpet or under the dash. Good luck in your hunt.

Your only hope is to find the build sheet. Reach up over the gas tank as see if you can feel a piece of paper. If so, you have the "tank sticker" which will tell you all about the car. It could also be under the carpet or under the dash. Good luck in your hunt.

Thanks Duke, I'll have a go at the top of the tank, thanks for that

Now theres an interesting article, thanks for that. don't think I'll rip my seats apart but I'll definitely have a serious look at the top of the gas tank. I've had the carpet out and there is nothing there. I have been told it was a big block, it has a aftermarket L81 styled hood, eliminating the wiper door. I have the orignal hood, or at least the previous owner gave it to me as the original hood, but its sort of a cross between the after market one, and a L81 Hood, it needs the wiper door etc. The grooves either side of the bulge are a deep groove running the full length of the hood???? the 427 hoods I see on Ebay have the groove but they only run maybe 10 or 12 inches back along each side then they feather out. My one, those grooves or indent runs the full length of the hood ??? Maybe its an after market one as well, who knows?? Anyway, thanks guys, I'll keep searching, Dave down Under

IMG_0831.jpg

That's what you're hoping for: typical placement for the 68-72 models. This particular example is about the cleanest I've ever seen. The article by Hunt4CleanAir (Tom Russo) deals with 73 and later cars after the format of the build sheets changed from portrait to landscape.

Remember: the tank sticker is now 40 years old. It may or may not be there, or only part of it might be there, and there is the possibility anything remaining might be illegible. Copies of build sheets have been found in the wiring behind the speedo/tach, tucked in the wiring behind the center cluster, behind either kick panel, tucked in the springs on the bottom of a seat, and under the carpet in the rear storage area.

All big block cars had a huge 4-row radiator and a factory rear stabilizer bar. Either of these on your '68?

:)

Thanks for that, 4 row radiator?? not sure, it looks the same size as the one in my 78 350 coupe, that any help?? As for sway bars, it has the normal traction bars coming from the diff to the wheel, I can't see a separate traction bar??? Maybe it was a 327 ??? I'm not that worried, would just be nice to know what he was born as??? Thanks to all of you for the advise, what a great venue. I'm just in the middle of restoring my heater set up, what a job that is!! Beiing a Hawaii car, it had been disconnected years ago and never used. the heater core looks fine, but cables and seals ect had to be re-newed. what a job getting it all back in where it came from!!! the joys of owning a Corvette!! :)

David,
Do you have the '68 assembly instruction manual (AIM)? If you don't have one, my advice is to order one. You'll quickly learn the AIM is worth far more than it's cost.

Get the AIM; go to the options section in the back; look at the big block options installation (L-36) and compare what's on your car with what the AIM shows for the typical big block installation. 4-row radiator, rear sway bar, etc. are all shown in the AIM.

:)

OK, have ordered a AIM, thanks for the advise. Today I got the heater going again, Yee Ha!! Wires, cables, hoses etc etc were missing, fells pretty good when you ahev a win after all those hours, fixing things. Thanks guys.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom