Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vertical Doors on a '79

Andy

Corvette
1976 Millenium Yellow / 1979 Greenwood Daytona
Today I bought a vertical door direct bolt on kit for my 1979 Greenwood Daytona. Anyone have any experience putting on vertical doors? The holes line up exactly with the 8 bolts on each door, 4 on a hinge. They are held to the door with 2 strut rods..In the event 1 rod fails, the other rod will keep the door up. The rods are ones you see at auto dealers. As soon as the doors are on my car, I'll go ahead and post some pics and I'll let you all know how long it takes and what problems I ran into.

Andy

Andy

sounds like an interesting project.
If you need any help call me and I can come over to give you a hand.

Barry

vertical doors

Todays the day. I just dropped off my car at the body shop for a few days to install the vertical doors and have the t-tops repainted. I sure hope all goes well.....Quite nervous...as I sure don't want to incure an expense and have the job come out sub-standard, although the company i use has been in business for 45 years and the owner is avette man. I get the car back friday..If all goes OK, I'll post some pics this weekend.

andy

i had assumed you were going to do the conversion yourself.
where did you take it to be done?

i can't wait to see it after it's finished, you will have to drive her over one day to show her off :)

I took it to the same shop that painted my 1976 Milennium Yellow vette, a place called Wileys Auto Body outside of West Chester. The owner is a Corvette man , and they have been in business for 40 + Years. GREAT Customer Service, Best I have ever seen for ANY company.....

My time is sooooooooooo limited, I can't find the extra hours to install this kit, plus I am having the T-Tops repainted, some art work done and a few other minor pieces corrected.

Got lucky, back in late December, I sent PICS and a long letter to Lance Miller at Corvettes at Carlisle...Got a letter last week from Lance and a call from him that they have chosen the Car and my story for CHIPS CHOICE DISPLAY this year...My family is Pretty excited about that.....therefore, my trailering questions and room questions. I did book a room and got a trailer, so I appear to be set for now...

I will be at the Custom Car show inside the Concord Mall next Sunday....

Andy

Andy
was that for the Parent/Child theme that Lance was looking for cars for?

glad you got a trailer. was it much to rent for the length of the show? one or 2 car trailer? open or enclosed?

Yes..PArent/Child Display...Found a Flatbed company who will take it up and back for a GOOD rate.

Andy

BarryK said:
Andy
was that for the Parent/Child theme that Lance was looking for cars for?

glad you got a trailer. was it much to rent for the length of the show? one or 2 car trailer? open or enclosed?

Company is called Dream Car Customs. Kit cost $750.00 which is a BARGAIN!! I have been watching them sell on Ebay for about 6 months now. The last one went for over $1,000.00. Other vertical door kits for C4's and C5's are selliing for close to $3,000.00. Call Troy at 912.661.4275. He spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me explaining all about the kit. Nice guy. Let me know how u make out. Pics of mine to be coming this weekend.

Andy

Well, i got my vette back from the body shop today. They installed one of the vertical doors, the other one will go on next week. It works GREAT and looks dynamite. You open the door out about 12-16 inches, then lift up on the bottom of the door. it pivots on it's front axis, on 2 strut rods. to close the door, pull it down and then it closes in just like any other door. More to follow next week. By the way, it took them about 5 hours to put on 1 door..Took 3 guys to do it, so it's not as easy as it is made out to do..This was their first time doing this, so maybe that played into it a bit.

Andy

a pic of the door would be great to see, looking forward to seeing it, I think I'LL be getting one and install over the winter, I got my two boys to help..lol..

Subscribing...

I would like to know if it makes it any easier to get in and out of the car?

M&W's72vette said:
I would like to know if it makes it any easier to get in and out of the car?

I think it would be. Living in Europe, I have a very hard time getting in and out of my C5. The Parking spots aren't desinged for Lambo's, C5s, Full size pick-ups... you get the point. Seen a "Smart" car? Yeah- SMALL spots.

It's just a different way to get in and out, I wouldn't say it's easier...but it's not that difficult either...I was thinking about that initially, but am able to get in just FINE..

Andy

Andy

PICS!! :)

going to Kimberton today to the show? We may go or I may have to run up to NJ.

Here's a quick PIC. Can't see much except the car with one door in the air. promise more pics of the car, closeups so u can see the strut rods....

Andy

Lambo door kits

I was at the SEMA show last nov and there were a half a dozen lambo door kit manufacturers on display. There was one mfg there that had the best looking setup and now I cant remember their name. If anybody was there that might remember it, I would appreciate the info on them. They were located in the north hall against the south wall about in the middle. They had a lambo kit on a yellow c-5. The kit they had seemed to go up higher than all the other ones I saw and the price seemed good too.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom