Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! VIN Location Needed for '74

C3Vette Lady

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe, 1973 Big BlockStingray
I have a buddy at work who just was given a '74. He is trying to locate a 2nd VIN for DMV. He found the interior one. Does anyone know exactly where the 2nd VIN is on this year?? Thanks for your help! :D

Lanelle ('73 BB Stingray & '81 SB Shark Owner :beer)

There isn't a second VIN location in the true sense of the word. There is a partial VIN stamped on the front of the engine block (same as every GM product) and one on the top of the frame rail above the drivers side rear wheel. There may be one on the transmission if it's a 4 speed.

Being that it's not illegal to change any of these components, the VIN derivatives may or may not match the complete VIN shown on the windshield pillar.

Needing a 2nd VIN sounds strange to me. Good luck. :beer

I agree-- the DMV/Highway Patrol should have a book that tells THEM where all the VIN stuff is located. At least the auto theft guys will have it..

What are you calling the "interior VIN"? There is only one VIN plate and it's on the driver's windshield post visible from outside the car.

:)

I agree-- the DMV/Highway Patrol should have a book that tells THEM where all the VIN stuff is located. At least the auto theft guys will have it..

The other VINS are hidden. I think there's one on the frame but the body would have to be lifted to see it. Call up Highway Patrol and get with the auto theft task force guys. They know exactly where to look and will probably check it for you.

the 2nd vin was stenciled on the drivers side frame rail.

the 2nd vin was stenciled on the drivers side frame rail.

Specifically it's on the frame kickup over the rear half-shaft. Can't remember for sure but think it was on top of the frame and you can see it w/o lifting the body. I also believe it's in other places but don't know where.

Specifically it's on the frame kickup over the rear half-shaft. Can't remember for sure but think it was on top of the frame and you can see it w/o lifting the body. I also believe it's in other places but don't know where.

It's on the top horizontal surface of the frame (stamped, not stenciled), centered on the front edge of the #4 body mount bracket; a second one is stamped on the top surface of the frame, about where your wallet is when you're seated in the car, but that one can't be seen with the body on.

Here's a photo of the forward one being stamped at St. Louis. :)

VINstamper833.jpg

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom