Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VIN Location on a 66

srthom13

Corvette
1966 - 427/425 - Black Coupe
I read in one of the past threads that there is a second location for the VIN. Besides the standard location, under the glove box, the VIN is apparently stamped on the left ( Driver side ) rear frame rail by the tire. I am curious and would like to locate mine. Is it where the frame rail arches over the suspension parts? Is it stamped into the frame rail ? Is it the entire VIN ? And are the numbers stamped lengthwise or across the top of the rail? Inner or outer part of the top? I painted my frame awhile ago unaware of this location. I know space is tight there, between the frame rail and body, so please be specific as possible. Thanks, Steve

Never heard of that place, but it is stamped on the block and trans. I will look tonight when I get home.

Best regards,
Gerry

It's stamped in two locations on the upper horizontal surface of the driver's side frame rail, about 1/2" in from the outer edge; one is at the top of the kickup, directly above the upper shock mounting bracket, and the other one is about 12" forward of where the kickup starts, about even with the driver's seat (that one can't be seen without lifting the body). It will have seven digits - the first one is the model year, and the next six match the last six on the VIN plate below the glove box; same number is stamped on the machined pad on the front of the block and on the main case of the transmission.
:beer

Steve,

Below is a picture showing the location of the stamp on my 65 on the kick up above the driver side rear wheel. It will be hard to see with the body on but you may get lucky.

IM000495.jpg

Dave

JohnZ said:
It's stamped in two locations on the upper horizontal surface of the driver's side frame rail, about 1/2" in from the outer edge; one is at the top of the kickup, directly above the upper shock mounting bracket, and the other one is about 12" forward of where the kickup starts, about even with the driver's seat (that one can't be seen without lifting the body). It will have seven digits - the first one is the model year, and the next six match the last six on the VIN plate below the glove box; same number is stamped on the machined pad on the front of the block and on the main case of the transmission.
John on my 63 I found the one on the horiz. frame but none on the kick up. Luckily it matches and the frame is in excellent shape. A few more days and off to the powdercoater. Should I protect the serial number so it's not covered? Even if the frame is painted I'm sure it would cover the shallow stamp. How important is it to keep this visible?

Thanks.

Thanks Guys, The narrows it down pretty good. Great picture Dave65. Steve

Steve

I found the number on my 65 where JohnZ indicates and where the picture above shows. I used a soft brass wire brush (or toothbrush) to clean the area and then a mirror and flashlight to see it. The numbers were not real deep on mine. Fortunately, they match the one under the dash.

DZ

DZ, That is exactly what I had in mind. Brass wire tooth brush, mirror and flashlight. Going to give it a try today. Thanks, Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom