Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Virginia Antique plate mount ideas?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
So I just got Antique plates for my '81, but the flippin' things only have upper mounting holes. So I guess this means I either affix the plates with double sided tape, or drill in to the plate itself. The drilling idea kinda sucks as the letters are centered lower on the plate than a normal one, so I'd have to drill into one of the letters. Anyone else have to do this? Any other ideas for mounting the plate (front and rear)? Thanks!

No idea which forum to put this in... but since it's about a C3, why not :cool!:

-Tatortot

P.S. The pic is an example of where I'd have to drill the hole. The hole on the right is between the "V" and the "A" so we're all clear over there.

va-antique2_zps678e70f8.jpg

How about bending a bottom bracket that mounts onto the bottom screw holes? Use tabs or a slot to capture the bottom edge of license plate so no need to drill the plate itself. Do you understand what I'm trying to describe? I could draw one if you're interested.

Mac

Yep, thanks for the idea Mac. Unfortunately I don't have the tools (or knowledge) to fab anything up, but that reminds me that I do have a chrome license plate frame with slots as you describe... maybe I can get that to work.

I'm really mostly concerned about the legality of drilling into the plate, but I've read of a couple of other fellows doing the same thing. I saw another '81 on the road last week, with antique plates, but I didn't think to look how he mounted them. Doh!

-Tatortot

There is usually a law about modifying plates but it is more geared toward those who want to bend/fold/mutilate the plate to make it harder for license plate reading cameras to catch 'em. I don't think an extra hole would be much of an issue, especially if it was for mounting.

Mac

Yeah, I mean it's pretty common sense "I had to drill another hole to use these things", but you might get that one officer that thinks otherwise. Maybe if I paint the screw white... then it wouldn't even show up. Hmmm....

-Tatortot

I had time today to try and tackle this annoying problem. After mocking it up a half a dozen different ways, I finally just traced around the old plate, and drilled in. This plate is absolutely wacky. It's very thick, rigid metal, that has a slight bend to it (so it won't sit flush). The black background paint is sticky to the touch, so fingerprints are there for good. The actual letters are like stick-on mailbox numbers. When I was drilling and screwing the mounting screws in, they would come off the plate around the holes. The screw heads cover that, though. Man, what a terrible design. I actually turned the plate upside down to see how close the stock holes were, and THOSE didn't even line up. The plates are so rigid that they don't sit flush against the body, so I had to put double-sided sticky weatherstripping behind it to keep the plate from rattling. What a job!

Anyways, here's a pic of the final outcome.

Antiqueplate_zps753102dd.jpg

-Tatortot

Thick and rigid are two words not normally associated with license plates.

It looks good from here!

Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom