Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Volt buyers to recieve free charging station with purchase

Chevy Volt and other hybrids question ?

I've been trying over the last month or so to try to find out "Exactly" what it's going to cost to the public to 'Charge' their hybrids. I just recived a PECO electric bill for my home, and in it there is now a 8% increase in the electric rate charged by the provider, BUT there is also a note that an additional 8% increase that will be passed by the PA utilities board in January 2011, so that's a 16% increase without even any additional draw like an electric automobile to charged every night or so.

So what is the increased draw on your homes electric bill ? I keep hearing people talk about the savings using a hybrid car in comparison to a conventional 4 cylinder gas powered car? I mean you pay at the pump, or you pay with your electric bill, but no matter how you dice it up, you pay! And I was wondering about some of us who live in a gated community or Condo and I'm sure as all hell the "home owners association" are going to put up a complaint or two about pluging in in the condo's garage.

Or if you run an extension cord out of your front door to charge the car as it's parked on the street in front of your brownstone, which doesn't have a garage. What happens if someone falls over the cord, or in some higher crime ridden neighborhoods, someone steals your extension cord or just plugs in their own appliances ? Either way I see problems if you don't have a garage and want to buy a Volt ! :w

I've been trying over the last month or so to try to find out "Exactly" what it's going to cost to the public to 'Charge' their hybrids. I just recived a PECO electric bill for my home, and in it there is now a 8% increase in the electric rate charged by the provider, BUT there is also a note that an additional 8% increase that will be passed by the PA utilities board in January 2011, so that's a 16% increase without even any additional draw like an electric automobile to charged every night or so.

So what is the increased draw on your homes electric bill ? I keep hearing people talk about the savings using a hybrid car in comparison to a conventional 4 cylinder gas powered car? I mean you pay at the pump, or you pay with your electric bill, but no matter how you dice it up, you pay! And I was wondering about some of us who live in a gated community or Condo and I'm sure as all hell the "home owners association" are going to put up a complaint or two about pluging in in the condo's garage.

Or if you run an extension cord out of your front door to charge the car as it's parked on the street in front of your brownstone, which doesn't have a garage. What happens if someone falls over the cord, or in some lesser crim ridden neighborhoods, someone steals your extension cord or just plugs in their own appliances ? Either way I see problems if you don't have a garage and want to buy a Volt ! :w
Good thinking. All valid questions/concerns.

I would add: The extension cord stretched across your yard trips a senior citizen and they hit the back of their head and die. Hmmmm...better keep that "general liability" policy for $5 million in place...

Good thinking. All valid questions/concerns.

I would add: The extension cord stretched across your yard trips a senior citizen and they hit the back of their head and die. Hmmmm...better keep that "general liability" policy for $5 million in place...

Ah ,if it's a company car your electrical has to be to OSHA stds .Even if its your home your plugging to company car into .

At least the money paid for electricity generally isn't on the next wire transfer to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia or any of the other garden spots that are currently draining us of our currency. Plug em in and power them with domestic coal, hydro, gas or nuke.

When we pay for foreign oil for gas, the money never comes back here, except in the form of purchases of government bonds to fund the national debt so we can buy, among other things, more oil. :rotfl

They generate power here with good old American natural gas!

Most of America's electricity comes from coal. Ever since "Remembrance", they're reluctant to flood areas for hydro-electric dams. Nothing worse than a damp banjo.

Well I don't know about the rest of ya but the Gas I burn in my Vett comes from Canada ;)
Funny how few people know that Canada is America's #1 supplier of petroleum, vett boy, isn't it? The Saudis is #2 and supplies just a little more than #3 Mexico.

-Mac

Power plants

At least the money paid for electricity generally isn't on the next wire transfer to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia or any of the other garden spots that are currently draining us of our currency. Plug em in and power them with domestic coal, hydro, gas or nuke.

When we pay for foreign oil for gas, the money never comes back here, except in the form of purchases of government bonds to fund the national debt so we can buy, among other things, more oil. :rotfl

I know that 60% of the electrcity we in this country use is from coal fired electricity plants. In fact there is a huge one about four miles from my home, but the interesting thing is that it's being closed, or 'Phased-out' next year. It turns out the whole plant is way too dirty and too costly to retro-fit with a cleaner technology,

Sooo. . . I have to wonder how many of these Volts actually make to the road. And yes, we need to cut off the flow of cash from the United States to the middle-east for oil. Singularly all/most of the middle-eastern countries either dislike us, or wishes us ill will and or an end of all Americans here. Which is strange as the Quran is a peaceful doctrine. But this isn't the place for politics. :confused

It's been a few years since I have had this conversation and looked at infrastruction plans for Electric Vehicles within city limits and residential homes...

Back a few years ago there where 2 main types of recharging stations. One was direct plug in with NO external charger, also within this category were the induction type direct plug in. These two are different as night and day and require completely different setups. The direct plug in, could be either 120v or the more effencient 240v, again basically the same but different ;)

Within the 120v & 240v direct plugin types were/are an aray of plug designs, each mfr. had their own design, unlike a normal household 120v plug or a residential 240 plug.

The City of Alameda, CA installed several "Charging Stations" at City Hall. The "Stations" were metered for revenue, but never used to bill. The goal was to get a pay meter so people using the "Charging Station" paid for service like a car wash or laundry mat. The "Stations" were abandoned after a couple of years of very little or no use..

The same issue bestows the homeowner. Which device is needed. I believe most mfr. opted for the mini onboard charger with the homebase or overnight location (e.g. garage) having the Full Charging Unit for a complete charge, monitored with float, trickle and boost charge capabilities.

The infrastructure is not available to support Electric Cars :nono and if every city reqardless of size started today, it would be YEARS before the network would be operational and meaniful to support a massive build up of Electric Vehicles.. factor in the Feds/Local/Municipal/EPA/Utilities/vendors to provide all the devices needed :W :W are a WHOLE subject on it's own merits :eek

Coal power plants... If you ever pass through Nebraska on I-80 near Sutherland, look south and you will see 2 smoke stacks. Under these stacks are 2 ~ 640 MegaWatt power plants COAL FIRED If you see any ash or reminents of a Coal Fired Plant I'll Kiss your...... those stacks have 4 levels of filtration call bagghouses, and the motors all run on 4,160volts 24/7 when the plant in making Electricity.. The coal burned there is from Wyoming and is what is considered "Clean Coal" how do I know all this... ;) I was part of the group from NPPD that acceptenced tested the generators and the ajoining Substation.. Both units are "water cooled stators" and this is technology from 1978 ~ 1980 when being constructed..

Sorry for the side story about Gerald Gentleman Power Plant :chuckle

I wish the push was to update/upgrade the Power Grids (e.g. Transmission Lines) and power plants! Forget Wind/Solar BS the technology ain't there for the demand needed to power the needs of consumers. These are great applications for spot power needs, but not the panacea some make it sound like :eyerole ... might as well design a statelite to beam down power :eyerole... (MHO)

Of course if you work nights or can change the batteries on your electric car daily, (assuming most folks work during the daylight hours) then Solar just might be the easiest solution for Charging ELECTRIC Vehicles :D :beer

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

Coal power ?

Well Bud, I have to admit thatdespite whatever anyone says or whatever facts they use to backup their opinions, the fact stands that In This Country I have read a number of times in different publications, that we have MORE COAL that all of the oil in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, ect. So that is more of an energy source that if you lined the country with Wind driven turbines electricty generators, Solar Panels, ect. put together. Now how we get around to using theat energy is the question that begs an logical fact based answer. What it is, I don't have an answer to. I'm just not that well educated in power resources. But it does seem to me, that the current system for recharging an device as large as a automobile IS NOT close at hand , so the Chevy Volt. is going to be useable to a select few, or a select segment of our population.:ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom