Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Volt Meter

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello guys. I too my L81 out for a nice drive today. According to my GPS, I got her up to 105 with no problem. I noticed that ad my rpm's increased, so did my voltmeter. In fact, I did not quite make it to 18 volts however, it was just inside the red. Any idea of why this is happening? During normal driving speeds, the voltmeter reads around 13 volts.

Thanks

It does sound strange. I would think it might be a regulator problem allowing it to over charge. It shouldn't go over 14.2-14.5.

Tom

It does sound strange. I would think it might be a regulator problem allowing it to over charge. It shouldn't go over 14.2-14.5.

Tom

I had the same problem. The volt regulator inside your generator is malfunctioning. My generator was giving me 18 volts when an alarm sensor burned through. Just replace the regulator and check if it gives the same voltage on higher rpm. Then it is oke to use :)

Greetings Peter

Let me also add another bit of information that may be affecting this regulator issue. I have noticed that my choke heater relay buzzes when the car is sitting idle. When I accelerate the buzzing stops. Could this be related to the regulator issue. Or, is it possible that my exit wire from the alternator has a bad connection is is affecting the voltmeter and causing the choke heater relay to buzz?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom